Generator w/ sine wave produces clicks

organic io

Generator w/ sine wave produces clicks

Post by organic io »

This bug keeps coming back to haunt me in every other song I do, and I always temporarily forget how to bypass it.

The problem is when you use a generator or also an analog generator with sine wav, then an audible and annoying click is produced when the sound stops. This is particularly more noticeable with bass tones. It is really messy when you try to do some gating effects, either with pattern commands (note offs), or the artifact is also audible when you use a separate module to gate the volume on and off, or even controlling the volume of the generator directly.

The only way I can figure around it is to render the sine out to a sampler, and trim the end. Then it is just fine :)
organic io

Re: Generator w/ sine wave produces clicks

Post by organic io »

P.S.. I apologize if I already reported this bug... It seems familiar, but my memory is so bad...
samrai katt kovboy

Post by samrai katt kovboy »

Yes, have similar problem , try to make bass with sinewave in the analog generator or generator get the annoying click and the only way I found out to get rid of it is to use polyphony which takes away some of the punch... Or use a really long attack which makes the bass almost unusuble...
Really would like to use the analog generator for bass...
But as it is ,end up using samples..

Mr nightradio please take away the gltiytches.
I can't sleep they haunt my dreams.
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANY CIRCLES
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Hm... Actually the Analog Generator already has anticlick mechanism :) Please check this example. First pattern - Sine wave with Analog Generator. Second pattern - Sine wave with old Generator.
Attachments
sine.sunvox
Analog generator / Old generator sine
(1.94 KiB) Downloaded 517 times
organic io

Post by organic io »

Wow indeed...

I guess when I tested the analog generator before my bugreport, I "heard" the click even when it wasn't there. (Of course I didn't actually remap the instrument to hear it in context of the song).

Damn psychoacoustics :)

Probably I will not use old generators as much anymore!

Thanks for your quick response :)
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

May be the source of your clicks is not Analog Generator, but some another module. For example - Amplifier, which has no anticlicking for controllers automation.
organic io

Post by organic io »

NightRadio wrote:May be the source of your clicks is not Analog Generator, but some another module. For example - Amplifier, which has no anticlicking for controllers automation.
Eehh.... Can you add anticlicking to it? Pretty please? :)
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Added to the list of requests :)
gigi

Post by gigi »

Another solution to eliminate the click on the end is to set the release at minimum 6. It's not so long to be too audible, but it resolves the click. It's easyer than remaping the hole instrument.
organic io

Post by organic io »

Thanks, I'll have to check that out!
The Handle

Post by The Handle »

organic io wrote:This is particularly more noticeable with bass tones.
I think the problem you're encountering has more to do with the pitch than anything else. Pitch is measured in Hz, and depending on the bpm you're using, the actual frequency of the pitch may be what is causing that click.

Let me put it this way, if the frequency of the pitch doesn't mesh with the time between beats, the note may be between cycles when the pattern ends, resulting in the "click" you're hearing. That is why the 6ms release helps, because it allows the waveform to decrease in volume in a short period after it is cut off.

Suppose we have this example:
Pitch X cycles 5 times in 1 second
Speed of the song is 1 beat per second
When pitch X is allowed to play through the entire beat, there are no clicks because it finishes the cycle before being cut off.
If pitch X is cut off in the middle of a beat, it will have gone through 2.5 cycles, resulting in a "click" (assuming it's a sine, it would be cut off in the middle of a peak).

I think that is what your problem is. For the standard generator, I would recommend a 6ms release, and if the problem continues add a 6ms attack. These settings are barely noticeable in the music but make a big difference in preventing audible clicks because of the volume change.