SunVox v1.7.2 BETA 2

NightRadio
Site Admin

SunVox v1.7.2 BETA 2

Post by NightRadio »

Updated 20 jule 2012.
The new testing version 1.7.2 BETA 2 is out!
http://www.warmplace.ru/soft/beta/sunvox1.7.2.beta2.zip
(for Windows, Linux, OSX, PalmOS and Windows Mobile)

What is new:
BETA 2 bugfix
  • several bugs fixed.
BETA 2
  • added eight layers for the modules; for example you can place some complicated drum chain on the first layer, and all other synths - on the second layer; layers can be visible together or separately;
  • new function "Scale" in the Module menu: use it if you want a smaller or bigger module size for the current project;
  • "Ignore velocity" option added to the Preferences->MIDI;
  • new controller in the Reverb module - "All-pass filter"; use it to enable/disable output all-pass filter;
  • new controller in the Reverb module - "Room size";
  • added autorepeat mode for the following buttons: HLD (clear current note), OFF (insert Note OFF), INS (insert), BCK (backspace);
  • several bugs fixed.
BETA 1
  • new module - WaveShaper;
  • new options in Preferences->Recording: Pattern fit to grid, Note quantization, Controller quantization;
  • empty parameter of the vibrato effect 04 is now treated as "use previous parameter value"; works only for songs created in SunVox 1.7.2 and higher;
  • new option "smooth frequency change" in the Analog Generator; enabled by default; disable it if you want to use arpeggio effect 08;
  • velocity map in the MultiSynth module;
  • improved CPU Usage Monitor with scrolling and module selection;
  • maximum number of pattern tracks has been increased from 8 to 16;
  • maximum Echo delay length increased to 4 seconds (except for PalmOS, where still the maximum is 1 second);
  • new controller in the Echo module - "Delay units" with different available modes (ms, Hz, ticks, lines);
  • new controller in the Filter module - "LFO frequency units" with different available modes (ms, Hz, ticks, lines);
  • new controller in the Flanger module - "Vibrato speed units" with different available modes (ms, Hz, ticks, lines);
  • new controller in the LFO module - "Frequency units" with different available modes (ms, Hz, ticks, lines);
  • new controller in the Vibrato module - "Frequency units" with different available modes (ms, Hz, ticks, lines);
  • new controller in the Vibrato module - "Set phase";
  • sound engine optimization;
  • many bugs fixed.
organic io

Re: SunVox v1.7.2 BETA 2

Post by organic io »

Sounds really cool. Can't wait to check it out later. But I have a question:
NightRadio wrote: added eight Module Layers for projects with a large number of modules;
Does this mean, for example if I have a dsp chain with more than 8 modules in a row, that double stop still won't work?

If so: What if some of the modules are bypassed? Then will it only count the active ones? Or just literally the first 8 before the output device regardless of whether they are "on" or not?

I know, I know, I make things complicated. :evil:
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Sorry, may be i explained unclear :) Here is more detailed description

Added eight layers for the modules. For example you can place some complicated drum chain on the first layer, and all other synths - on the second layer. Layers can be visible together or separately.
It is specially for songs with tens of modules and wires.

Also double stop must work now. Please test it :)
samrai katt kovboy

Post by samrai katt kovboy »

I am really excited!!!!

When will it come out officially for android?

Samrai
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANY CIRCLES
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

When will it come out officially
I hope this will be in july )
organic io

Post by organic io »

NightRadio wrote:Sorry, may be i explained unclear :) Here is more detailed description

Added eight layers for the modules. For example you can place some complicated drum chain on the first layer, and all other synths - on the second layer. Layers can be visible together or separately.
It is specially for songs with tens of modules and wires.

Also double stop must work now. Please test it :)
Wow!!! I just checked it out on Win32 briefly... The layers are going to be really fantastic for my workflow :) Finally no more mess of boxes trying to find a certain module! And of course they can be easily ignored too for people who don't want to use them.

Great job on this!!!

I have some layer suggestions though: I really like how it still shows a small colored square connected to the output even when the layer is not active. Why not take it 1 step further and draw the outline of all the modules in a layer the same color as the layer? (I mean when the modules in that layer are visible) That way it would be really easy to visually identify which modules belong to which layer, even when viewing multiple layers simultaneously.

(See where I am going with this?? ..... If for example I get in the workflow habit of always using black layer for drums, red for lead synth, green for bass, etc, (Which I already plan on doing something like this), then it will be really quick and easy to discern which sets of modules go with which instrument, signal flow path, or DSP chain, or whatever you want to call it)

Also, what about the ability to name the layers? (They would still default to numbers, but then you could for example right click or double click and rename it, even a 2 or 3 character slot would be helpful, for example then you could use abbreviations like "dr" for drums, "bs" for bass, "sy" for synth, etc...) This way it will require less effort to remember "is yellow supposed to be pads, or.... ???"

:)

Of course I will be stress testing this on the Mobilepro tonight or tomorrow, and I will give you a status on double-stop functionality. :D
Last edited by organic io on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
organic io

Post by organic io »

Sunvox just keeps getting deeper and better. I love it :)
organic io

Post by organic io »

Also wanted to say the realtime scaling on the modules size is excellent :)
geckojsc

Post by geckojsc »

Really awesome new features!
I found a problem in one of my projects - when I try to export to wav, SunVox stops at 0% export progress and crashes.
Here's an example file where the problem occurs

I have a feeling it may be something to do with the instrument setup. When I delete the MultiSynth module, the problem stops happening, and it exports normally.

[edit]
Oh, another minor problem I've experienced is that sometimes (very occasionally) notes don't turn off correctly even after the timeline position cursor has moved off of the pattern where the note was triggered. I'm unsure how to reproduce this, seems pretty random to me - it happened once with a MultiSynth, but I think it also happened with an Analog Generator, so it may be a timing issue that is not caused by any one specific module.
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

geckojsc,
thank you! I will try to fix it.
goldencut

Post by goldencut »

Hi,

Great to have an app as cool as Sunvox updated as often as it is currently. Actually I really don't know how NR does it, it seems not humanly possible. More likely a botnet of AI, a secret distributed computing project? A secret organization, kind of Anonymous of the tracking world?! ;P

Anyways. I played around with these new layers and... I was not drunk or anything... and i was quite confused from the start. Please don't shoot the messenger. So far SunVox interface has been ~100% intuitive and I didn't never-ever need any manuals or forums to use almost any of the functions and features, things worked the way they looked and you thought they would work. But those new layer buttons not so much. I think just a row of numbers/tabs would have been sufficient, first click activates layer, second disables. And from module's properties the layer can be set. Just my .2€.
About the size of the modules and the new zoom in-out -function, I think it maybe needs "mouse scroll over module-section's background zooms in-out" also? I find myself constantly scrolling with mouse on that window/section and never-ever will it freakin' zoom in or out!! And two-finger zoom for hipster on their mobile toys... ;)

Keep up the good work, NR!
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

BETA 2 is updated. A couple of bugs has been fixed. Please download it again:
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Oh, sorry... One more bug :) Please redownload it again
amin

Post by amin »

I'm getting a 404 for that download link over here in Australia... just so you know. But the beta looks fantastic! Can't wait to use it.
samrai katt kovboy

Post by samrai katt kovboy »

BUt there is a much more recent version that is not Beta...
http://www.warmplace.ru/soft/sunvox/
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANY CIRCLES