SunVox 1.9.4 BETA2

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
NightRadio
Site Admin

SunVox 1.9.4 BETA2

Post by NightRadio »

The second beta version of the new SunVox 1.9.4 is ready for testing!
Now it's available for the Windows, Linux and macOS. Other versions will be released soon.

What is new:

v1.9.4 BETA2 (21 jul 2018):
  • fixed bugs with shortcuts.
v1.9.4 BETA1 (20 jul 2018):
  • iOS: user files are now available through the Files app;
  • iOS: partial USB/Bluetooth keyboard support (no key release, no Home/End, no F1/F2/...);
  • iOS: improved iPhone X display support;
  • sound engine optimization;
  • indicating the modules whose controllers are tied to the MIDI;
  • additional slider for scrolling the controllers when there is not enough space on the screen;
  • spectrogram has been added to the to the spectrum analyzer;
  • detailed settings of the spectrum analyzer are now available through the main menu -> Preferences -> Modules; also you can find it in sunvox_config.ini;
  • Amplifier: new controller "Gain" for high amplification (x100, x1000 and higher);
  • Analog Generator: new option "True zero attack/release" - turn it on when you need a very fast (instantaneous) zero attack or/and release;
  • Analog Generator: new waveforms: "noise with spline interpolation (sampler)", "white noise", "pink noise", "red noise", "blue noise", "violet noise", "grey noise";
  • Compressor: new mode "peak zero latency" for compression/limiting without delay; modes "peak" and "RMS" operate with a delay of 1 ms;
  • Distortion: new types: "foldback2", "foldback3", "overflow";
  • GPIO: max number of pins is increased to 256;
  • LFO: new waveform "random interpolated" (same as random (5), but with a smoother transition between the signal levels);
  • DrumSynth: three additional panning controllers for the bass, hihat and snare;
  • Kicker and DrumSynth: panning controller can now be set locally (for each note separately);
  • Kicker: "Boost" (old name - "Vol.addition") controller works again after it was accidentally broken in SunVox 1.6 :)
  • MultiCtl: new controllers "Response" and "Sample rate" to smoothly change the output value; response=1000 - immediate change; response<1000 - smooth change; optimal sample rate = 150Hz, please avoid higher values without the urgent need;
  • Timeline: new function "set restart position" - use it to change the position which the project should restart from after the project end;
  • pattern effect 03 (slide to note): default speed value (XXYY) is 256 (100 in hex);
  • new pattern effect 24: take a note from line XXYY on the same track; if the note to the left of the effect is specified, it will be used as the transposition value (relative to C5: c5 - one semitone higher, C4 - one octave lower, etc.); if the module number is missing, then the module number from line XXYY will be used;
  • new pattern effect 25: take a random note from the range of lines XX..YY (inclusive) on the same track;
  • new pattern effect 26: take a note from track XXYY on the same line;
  • new pattern effect 27: take a random note from the range of tracks XX..YY (inclusive) on the same line;
  • new pattern effect 28: take a note from line XXYY on track 0;
  • new pattern effect 29: take a random note from the range of lines XX..YY (inclusive) on track 0; see example "pat effect 29 random note from trk0";
  • module remapping: "pattern" button has been added;
  • dialog window shortcuts: Y or ENTER = first button on the left; N = second button; ESC = cancel; 1...9 = buttons from left to right;
  • if you enter the file name "exporttest" when exporting to WAV, the SunVox engine speed test will be performed (without saving to disk);
  • new keyboard shortcut: CTRL + SHIFT + N - new project;
  • new keyboard shortcut: SHIFT + F10 - play from the pattern cursor;
  • new instruments: keyboard/NR SuperSaw (lo-fi), analog11, analog12, pads/analog_distorted2, wind/NR Sax;
  • new instruments and effects from other users (see the instruments and effects folders);
  • new simple examples: idm;
  • sunvox_config.ini: denorm 0/1 - disable/enable denormal numbers; DON'T use this if you don't know what it is :)
  • various small changes and improvements;
  • bug fixes: unpredictable clicks in Vibrato and Vocal Filter, etc.
jugger

Re: SunVox 1.9.4 BETA1

Post by jugger »

With this beta, if I go to preferences->Interface->Shortcuts, I can only see four assignable shortcuts(exit, play/stop, stop, play from beginning) for some reason. Happens even after executing reset_sunvox.bat.

Tried Win 32-bit and 64-bit EXE's using two different PCs. One with Windows 7 and the other has Windows 8.1. Both have same problems.

Also the playback shorcuts work pretty randomly. For example F10/Shift-F10 doesn't do anything.

Can the "play from pattern cursor" be manually added to sunvox_config.ini? For example something like "main_play_patternCursor "0 89 1"
Attachments
Shortcut page
Shortcut page
sunvox.jpg (25.94 KiB) Viewed 3285 times
Last edited by jugger on Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hseiken

Post by hseiken »

Your SuperSaw inspired me.

I wanted to more closely emulate the functions of the Juno without going overboard on CPU. Result is more versatile super saw with many options and less CPU even in high quality. :)

My way of saying 'thanks!'
HSI Jigsaw.zip
(6.72 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
If I find any bugs, I will report.
WARNINGThis angry old nerd may rant about modern computers or computer culture! It is not directed at you 99% of the time! Ignore it if it seems silly or personal!
queries

Post by queries »

Any hints on what might be new in the library version? Or just same API but with 1.9.4 engine inside?
transient

Post by transient »

nice stuff nightradio!

i also can confirm f10 or shift-f10 seems to have no effect (windows 10)
(pressing f10 while the track is playing the waveform displays in the module window freeze but the sound continues)

interesting new pattern effects. i'm still trying to wrap my head around exactly what each does but definitely looks like some neat results can be achieved. curious, in your example for pattern effect 29 you have the 03 (glide) command linking from a subsequent pattern with a double arrow. is that a new feature or just one I was unaware of? how do you insert it?

thanks for the update!

ps- thanks for all the new noise options, those will be very useful!

(nevermind, i found it in the special command drop down (apply effects to previous track)

How is this accessed?
additional slider for scrolling the controllers when there is not enough space on the screen;
jugger

Post by jugger »

"MultiCtl: new controllers "Response" and "Sample rate" to smoothly change the output value"

Just wanted to say that this is an incredibely useful feature! Being able to smoothly change values for basically any parameter is almost like having a vector-based automation inside Sunvox :)

Also, thanks for the "new keyboard shortcut: play from the pattern cursor". Once it works, it will make editing/listening so much faster for the longer patterns.
gennargiu

Post by gennargiu »

hi,many thanks for new version of extraordinary program of Sunvox... There are news of compatibility and optimizations for raspberry pi 3 ?

gennaro
Hp Elite 8200 Sff + Raspberry pi4 (4 giga ram) - Sunvox 1.9.5 - Mx Linux 19 (Debian Buster based) + Raspbian Buster
dcstoica

Post by dcstoica »

queries wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:53 pm Any hints on what might be new in the library version? Or just same API but with 1.9.4 engine inside?
To my knowledge the dll is full SunVox! Correct me if I am wrong!

Now, queries, by the way you have nice handle, why are you relying on queries on the API! This is not Micro$soft to sue you, so you can look inside, privately, and know what the exec has! Should I give you a smart disassembler !?! Closed source is one way but coding is the real way!
dcstoica

Post by dcstoica »

Alex,

Spectrograms are perfect help in the mixing; thanks!

Dan.
dcstoica

Post by dcstoica »

queries, going to github, now I see the reason for your questions and you trying to be a documenter! In IMHO, for a WIP like Alex's 'toy', you should stick to HowTos and not a Complete Guide! Writing some complete guide for something in evolution it sounds to me, sorry for the word, nonsense! Otherwise, your project will still remain a WIP, like it is!

To make my point dear Matthew (Scott) ... the latest, or at least your copyright is from 2016 and no progress, as far as I can see! Perhaps, you should add licensing on the software and not your MIT type of work! Should I write for you the section on 'Configuring MIDI inputs'. cause' is not optional for me or other musicians!?! :-)
queries

Post by queries »

dcstoica wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:07 am To my knowledge the dll is full SunVox! Correct me if I am wrong!
I've become quite familiar with the SunVox DLL and the SunVox file format. :)

See here for my work in documenting the format and providing a Python-based API for reading/modifying/writing SunVox files: https://radiant-voices.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

My question about the 1.9.4 version was if there were any requested features added to the DLL that it didn't have before.

For example, there is no API to manage a buffer for the purposes of sending your own audio stream to SunVox's Input module type.

So, the DLL is excellent for playback, but cannot be used as a real-time or streaming effects processor as SunVox itself can. Once must create and load a Sampler module instead, and then capture the output.
queries

Post by queries »

dcstoica wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:48 am queries, going to github, now I see the reason for your questions and you trying to be a documenter! In IMHO, for a WIP like Alex's 'toy', you should stick to HowTos and not a Complete Guide! Writing some complete guide for something in evolution it sounds to me, sorry for the word, nonsense! Otherwise, your project will still remain a WIP, like it is!

To make my point dear Matthew (Scott) ... the latest, or at least your copyright is from 2016 and no progress, as far as I can see! Perhaps, you should add licensing on the software and not your MIT type of work! Should I write for you the section on 'Configuring MIDI inputs'. cause' is not optional for me or other musicians!?! :-)
This has just been a lack of personal time on my part. Many of the sections were written by others though.

If someone submits a PR on GitHub, or sends me text here or by email, I'd be happy to add to the guide.

It's meant to be complementary to the official manual, not a replacement... so I'm open to the idea of trimming out the empty sections, and renaming it to something other than "Complete" :)
dcstoica

Post by dcstoica »

In my view, It is not o question of time but efficiency! If you know one thing, properly, and want to share the knowledge, you just write it down strait and fair with no delays!
dcstoica

Post by dcstoica »

queries wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:47 am
dcstoica wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:07 am To my knowledge the dll is full SunVox! Correct me if I am wrong!
I've become quite familiar with the SunVox DLL and the SunVox file format. :)

See here for my work in documenting the format and providing a Python-based API for reading/modifying/writing SunVox files: https://radiant-voices.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

My question about the 1.9.4 version was if there were any requested features added to the DLL that it didn't have before.

For example, there is no API to manage a buffer for the purposes of sending your own audio stream to SunVox's Input module type.

So, the DLL is excellent for playback, but cannot be used as a real-time or streaming effects processor as SunVox itself can. Once must create and load a Sampler module instead, and then capture the output.
You can use all the functionality, not only the playback, by coding your own wrapper meaning interface, be it textual, i.e. command line based, or graphical! You can program any use of any/all the functions that SunVox provide! It is just a question of how and for that some might have to go to school!
queries

Post by queries »

dcstoica wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:02 am In my view, It is not o question of time but efficiency! If you know one thing, properly, and want to share the knowledge, you just write it down strait and fair with no delays!
I wonder, how many children do you help raise on a regular basis? There are only so many things one can do efficiently in a given day. Let's be civil and keep in mind that everyone's personal situation is different, and changes over time, please!

There has been plenty of knowledge shared "straight and fair" by many people in this community. :)