Off-Key: Detuner

iaon

Off-Key: Detuner

Post by iaon »

Play any instrument from this module. Retune your twelve pitch classes across the octaves with ease. So there's a finetune slider for all the Cs, one for all the cs, one for all the Ds...

The sliders go up or down one semitone. For more the transpose controller on the MultiSynth with the relevant note name could be accessed inside the MetaModule, or added to the user defined controllers.

For scales with less than 12 tones tune two neighbouring keys to the same tone, or disable any key by setting the Velocity controller to zero on the MS with its name (or remove the link going into that MS).

A tuning change can be given with the note event in a pattern, so
E4 -- 01 0D00 3000
E4 -- 01 0D00 4000
plays an E 25 cents flat and then a regular E.

There are global tune and transpose controllers to shift the custom scale around in its entirety, and a random pitch to loosen it up. Any newfound or classic tunings for this could be shared as a short list of values.

This is made possible by the new MM Event output option and won't work on versions older than 1.9.3.
Attachments
Off-Key.sunsynth
(24.61 KiB) Downloaded 565 times
alitan

Re: Off-Key: Detuner

Post by alitan »

This is great. What if we have save/ load presets for MetaModule in the next version of SunVox. These presents can be saved within the sunvox file or sunvox synth file. That will be awesome @nightradio
cube48

Post by cube48 »

It already is possible to save MetaModule as .sunsynth file which can be your 'preset'. You can then load multiple of them into your project and 'change presets' by selecting them. Or do I understand you incorrectly?
alitan

Post by alitan »

Yes, i know. But it will be much more elegant to be able to switch the setting by selecting presets rather than loading another metamodule.
I think preset functionality is missing in general. It will be nice to have for all the devices. And being able to switch them through pattern parameter will be awesome.
cube48

Post by cube48 »

I fully agree that 'preset' feature for modules would be great. And they could be changed by MIDI Program Change on the channel set to the module. Save and load of the presets would make sense too.
E8_Heterotic

Post by E8_Heterotic »

Thank you. This has been very useful to me personally, as I've been exploring/composing microtonal music a lot. I saved a bunch of different presets like "17 EDO chromatic" or "13 EDO no 7" to make it more convenient when reloading.

There's only one slight inconvenience in using it and I'm not sure anything can actually be done about it. If the synth that the detuner is plugged into is a monophonic synth, everything is fine, but if the synth is polyphonic, a strange problem shows up. If you use the detuner insider of a track and change from one note to the next, the first note doesn't stop. Instead both notes end up playing at the same time. The only way I've found to get around this is to use 2 tracks, alternating between the 2 so that I can issue a "note off" command at the same time as I issue a command to play a new note. This ensures that the old note stops and the new note starts at the same time. If the synth is monophonic, it automatically jumps to the new note without worry.

This is probably just how SunVox works, so there's probably no way to "fix" it unless the detuner is included as a basic module. I can manage with the issue still in place, but it would be a nice "quality of life" change. If the detuner is made a base module (unlikely), it would also be nice for it to load Scala files in order to automatically adjust everything.
iaon

Post by iaon »

Yes, I've noticed the issue with instruments that have sustain on. Like you said, the easiest way around it is to add your own note offs.

It's to do with the way sustain is handled by those MultiSynths that only let one kind of note through. If the next note takes another route, the first isn't told to stop sustaining.

This goes away when you uncheck 'Ignore notes with zero velocity' in those MultiSynths, but then the problem becomes that every keypress plays 12 notes at once, 11 of which have no velocity. This may be acceptable in certain situations. Say you want a 7 note scale, you remove the connections for the black notes inside the MM. Then you can play an Analog Generator (Sampler, SpectraVoice) with Poliphony set to 28 for an effective poliphony of 4.

You could also just use this module to mess around with the sliders until you find a nice sounding scale and then use SP commands which also have 256 steps per semitone.
E8_Heterotic

Post by E8_Heterotic »

I've compiled a collection of preset tunings. I have 11 EDO, 13 EDO (except the 7th note, which can be obtained easily by other means), the Blackwood scale of 15 EDO, every MOS scale of 17 EDO, the full collection of 29 EDO as 2 chromatic scales and a pentatonic, and a selected scale from 34 EDO that I used to write a song. I can make more of them later, if people find these useful. Included is a guide on how the presets are mapped to keys.

Tuning Presets.zip
(34.95 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
philipbergwerf

Post by philipbergwerf »

It's also possible to include templates using paterns that change the right sliders!