SunVox 1.9.3 BETA2

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
NightRadio
Site Admin

SunVox 1.9.3 BETA2

Post by NightRadio »

The second beta version of the new SunVox 1.9.3 is ready for testing!
Now it's available for the Windows, Linux and macOS. Other versions will be released within a few days.

What is new:

v1.9.3 BETA2 (4 nov 2017):
  • now you can disable the recent files list by adding the "nofrecent" option to the sunvox_config.ini;
  • MetaModule: effect 07 (set sample offset by percentage) is now supported too; you can use it to jump to the specified location within the MetaModule-project;
  • bug fixes.
v1.9.3 BETA1 (31 oct 2017):
  • 64-bit Windows support (x86_64);
  • Android (4.0 and higher): Preferences -> Interface: new option "Hide system bars" for true immersive fullscreen mode;
  • macOS and Linux: experimental Wi-Fi export/import support (like on iOS);
  • Linux: now SDL2 library is used instead of the old SDL1.2;
  • desktop systems with the sample rate 48000 and higher: improved sound quality of the following modules: DrumSynth, Analog Generator, FM;
  • sound engine optimization;
  • MIDI IN options has beed added to the Module Properties: here you can change the MIDI IN channel and the mode (receive MIDI commands "when the module selected" or "always");
  • the biggest Sampler update since 2008;
  • Sampler: click removal algorithm (between two notes on the same channel, or during the sharp note cutoff);
  • Sampler: added four new envelopes to control the effect (with polyphony support), which is one of the built-in SunVox modules; so you can choose almost any SunVox module (for example, Filter or MetaModule), and it will be stored inside the Sampler;
  • Sampler: new option "Ignore velocity for volume";
  • Sampler (editor): the scroll wheel now increases/decreases the area exactly under the mouse cursor;
  • Sampler (sample editor): new loop parameter - Sustain; when enabled, loop will be finished after the Note OFF;
  • Sampler (sample editor): deeper zoom;
  • Sampler (sample editor): supported shortcuts: Selection begin, Selection end, Paste and mix;
  • Sampler (sample editor): Crossfade Loop effect has been added into the menu;
  • Sampler (envelope editor): unlimited envelope length, unlimited number of envelope points;
  • Sampler (envelope editor): supported shortcuts: Delete, Backspace, Insert, Tab, Left, Right, Up, Down;
  • Sampler (envelope editor): point info display has been added; press it to show/hide the additional buttons for precise point control;
  • Sampler (envelope editor): new envelope parameters: Gain, Velocity influence;
  • Sampler (envelope editor): new envelopes: Pitch, Effect Controller;
  • MetaModule: new option "Event output"; when enabled, the MetaModule can output events (Note ON/OFF, Set Pitch, etc.) from the internal Output module; see the examples metamodule_arpeggiator3/4;
  • Filter, Filter Pro, Flanger, LFO, Vibrato: current LFO phase is visible now (on the "Set phase" controller);
  • Filter, Filter Pro, Flanger, LFO, Vibrato: the incoming notes (Note ON commands) reset the LFO phase to "Set phase" value;
  • MultiSynth: new option "Trigger" (ignore Note OFF commands; the new note turns off the old note with the same pitch);
  • MultiSynth: new controller "Curve2 influence" (influence of the second velocity curve);
  • Reverb: new controller "Random seed";
  • LFO: new controller "Generator" (always generate a signal, even if the input is empty);
  • LFO: triangle waveform;
  • Pattern Editor: new function "Place evenly" (place events evenly in the selected area);
  • new project parameter - "Time grid2" (the higher-level grid, number of time grid cells);
  • "Randomize controllers" can now be canceled through the UNDO;
  • lists of recent files and folders have been added to the file browser;
  • "Resize" button has been added to the musical keyboard in the file browser (when the Preview is enabled);
  • new keyboard shortcut in the file browser: BACKSPACE or LEFT - go to the parent directory;
  • new keyboard shortcut: CTRL + P - place selected events evenly (pattern editor);
  • new keyboard shortcut: remap (pattern editor) - keys are not assigned to this shortcut by default;
  • almost all windows can be closed by pressing the ESC;
  • additional small font for low-res displays; you can switch between the three built-in fonts in the Preferences -> Interface -> Fonts;
  • Preferences -> Main: new button "Log" (show/save SunVox log);
  • Preferences -> Interface: new option "Zoom buttons" (hide/show zoom in/out buttons);
  • Preferences -> Interface -> Color theme: ability to manually adjust the four primary colors (c_0, c_1, c_2, c_3);
  • new instruments and effects (see the folders instruments and effects);
  • new examples: NightRadio - Reach for the Stars, Transient - Can It Be Beautiful;
  • new simple examples: sampler effect envelopes, metamodule_arpeggiator3, metamodule_arpeggiator4;
  • user manual update: http://www.warmplace.ru/wiki/doku.php?i ... :manual_en;
  • base configuration file update (description of all additional colors): http://www.warmplace.ru/soft/sunvox/sunvox_config.ini;
  • bug fixes: note hang in Glide, broken virtual MIDI IN port in iOS, problems with Wi-Fi Export/Import, etc.
  • + other features in the final release...
dolflou032

Re: SunVox 1.9.3 BETA1

Post by dolflou032 »

Oh ma god so many features
Nightradio you're the big boss !!!!
:Yahoo!: :Yahoo!: :Yahoo!: :Yahoo!: :Yahoo!: :Yahoo!: :Yahoo!: :Yahoo!: :Yahoo!: :Yahoo!: :Yahoo!: :Yahoo!:
:Bravo: :Bravo: :Bravo: :Bravo: :Bravo: :Bravo: :Bravo: :Bravo: :Bravo: :Bravo: :Bravo: :Bravo: :Bravo:
:Yahoo!: :Yahoo!: :Yahoo!: SUNVOX IS AWESOME !!!! :Yahoo!: :Yahoo!: :Yahoo!:
Stevia

Post by Stevia »

I absolutely love the new sampler!

However, I came across a glitch. While using the reverb envelope to controll wetness sometimes playing two notes at once will cause a very loud crackling sound. It occured after I used the reverb envelope, switched it out to a Filter Pro envelope and then switched it back to reverb. I'm running Ubuntu Studio and using the linux 64 bit version.
Koekepan

Post by Koekepan »

Thank you for the updated, NightRadio! This is a massive update, of huge importance. What you did with various LFO instantiations is huge for sound design.

One question: I think I figured everything else out, but can you explain more about the curve2 influence in the multisynth? I'm not quite sure what you mean there.
SolarLune

Post by SolarLune »

YOOOOOOO LET'S GO

EDIT: OK, found a bug. The recent files list doesn't seem to work - it lists the files and folders, but doesn't always work correctly - if you have a file in another folder, then it can't be loaded. Only if the file is in the folder you're viewing does the recent file link properly work. Clicking on a recent folder doesn't do anything. Running Linux Mint KDE 18.2.

EDIT2: Another bug is that sometimes when you let go of a note on a MetaModule set to arpeggiator and event output, the note doesn't end on note end / pattern end.
Last edited by SolarLune on Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
queries

Post by queries »

MIDI in per module is going to be huge for controlling SunVox from multiple devices !

I've updated the unofficial mirror on Github. Here's a direct download link: https://github.com/warmplace/sunvox/arc ... -beta1.zip
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

can you explain more about the curve2 influence in the multisynth
There are two velocity curves in the MultiSynth: curve1 (x=note;y=velocity) and curve2 (x=velocity;y=velocity).
You can switch between them through the "options" menu.
When "curve2 influence" = 0, the linear shape (default) will be used for this curve.
When "curve2 influence" = 256, the user-drawn shape will be used.
So you can choose some intermediate shape.
I don't know, may be we can use some more understandable name for this controller?

To SolarLune:
if you have a file in another folder, then it can't be loaded
The strangest thing is that it works fine on my Linux computer :)
Can you please show some examples? What files in what folders?
Another bug is that sometimes when you let go of a note on a MetaModule set to arpeggiator and event output, the note doesn't end on note end / pattern end.
It would be cool if you can send me some project where i can reproduce this bug.
Anyway i will try to test MetaModule more...
Koekepan

Post by Koekepan »

OK, much clearer now.

Hm, rephrasing ... in a filter, it would be something like dry/wet mix, but that's not really what's going on here.

Perhaps something like User Curve2 Factor? Maybe?
SawZer

Post by SawZer »

Filter, Filter Pro, Flanger, LFO, Vibrato: the incoming notes (Note ON commands) reset the LFO phase to "Set phase" value;
Could this feature be a toggle? Sometimes a free (Not reset) LFO is desired
TheBlu30ne

Post by TheBlu30ne »

I'm sooooo excited for this. Especially the metamodule being able to output triggers! Thx nightradio for the great job.

EDIT: I noticed how much better the audio engine is!!! It runs sooo much smoother here. I also like the recents in project browser.
Rondobotic

Post by Rondobotic »

Is the new Pattern editing ability to spread notes evenly across a time selection only applicable to the resolution of the grid in the editor? or will it go deeper and apply tick delays for the notes if we were to use it to quickly insert triplets?

I have not downloaded Beta yet, will do today and try it out, I just got excited and had to ask :)

Thanks for giving this awesome software so much support NR and to everyone else here that are so passionate about it! its a great community, I've learnt lots and been having so much fun tinkering. Shame I cant complete any songs hahaha!

Cheers!
The Handle

Post by The Handle »

WHOA!! Those sampler/LFO updates look awesome! Can't wait to test stuff with them. Color theme update is a welcome change too! :Yahoo!:

Excellent work yet again NightRadio, you continue to impress even after all these years :beer:
The Handle

Post by The Handle »

SawZer wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:27 am
Filter, Filter Pro, Flanger, LFO, Vibrato: the incoming notes (Note ON commands) reset the LFO phase to "Set phase" value;
This please. Really useful to have a "free" LFO when making something really complex like neurofunk or psytrance, where there are multiple filters layered to get different effects over a series of notes. Maybe add it as a separate on/off controller under the filter?

Otherwise, the phase reset would be very useful for Dubstep.
Koekepan

Post by Koekepan »

The Handle wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:57 am
SawZer wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:27 am
This please. Really useful to have a "free" LFO when making something really complex like neurofunk or psytrance, where there are multiple filters layered to get different effects over a series of notes. Maybe add it as a separate on/off controller under the filter?

Otherwise, the phase reset would be very useful for Dubstep.
It's already free-running. Just don't send it any notes.

Basically, it's the same as the LFO of yore; except that the old LFO ignored notes. Now, if you direct notes at it (whether or not those notes signals are turned into audio anywhere) you reset its phase.

Basically, everything you're asking for is already there.
SolarLune

Post by SolarLune »

NightRadio wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:07 pm The strangest thing is that it works fine on my Linux computer :)
Can you please show some examples? What files in what folders?
It's not any specific file - any file that resides outside of the current directory in the file browser is listed, but can't be navigated to / actually opened. Clicking it doesn't select it in the browser - it doesn't do anything apart from just highlighting the file. Clicking on the recent folders also doesn't do anything. Selecting different folders using the arrow keys also doesn't do anything.

Here's a GIF showing the problem. Files that are in the same directory as the one I'm looking at are selected fine, but other ones (like ones from SunVox's packaged examples directory) don't do anything when clicked.
NightRadio wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:07 pm It would be cool if you can send me some project where i can reproduce this bug.
Anyway i will try to test MetaModule more...
OK, here's a file that shows it - every third time the MetaModule hits the Note Off command, the sound continues.