Android users - micro SD "save error"?

Kid_lofi

Android users - micro SD "save error"?

Post by Kid_lofi »

I'm unable to write to the external SD card. I get a "save error" dialog box. Any other droid users with this issue? Is it just the security stuff introduced since kit-kat? Any tips to get write access? Currently unrooted, mostly out of laziness. Thankfully my phone does have a heap of internal memory, but i do a lot of recording and sampling, so sunvox's data folder is taking up a literal quarter of it, and i'm finally running low. Do I just have to bite the bullet, backup, and go back to the wacky world of android builds?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
El Nino

Re: Android users - micro SD "save error"?

Post by El Nino »

I dont know about the save error when saving a song to external sd.

in terms of having a lot off samples taking up internal memory, i think it should be no problem to keep your sample library on the external sd but save your songs on the internal sd...

this next one is a bit off topic but i heard it on the interrnet somewhere that all android apps are limited to use only 256MB of availiable RAM on the device, even if the device has, say 2GB of RAM.

Can this really be true?
Kid_lofi

Post by Kid_lofi »

I don't thiiink that's a thing in more recent versions of android. If you're running a legacy device using android 1 and 2 you may still have that problem.

Edit - after a bit more googling, it looks like it's just how android 5 and above work. App devs now have to make their apps prompt the user to grant app access to external media. If it's not already, i'm adding it as a feature request, though i think platform specific features are probably less of a priority than 'universal' ones.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

App devs now have to make their apps prompt the user to grant app access to external media.
SunVox has the android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE in its manifest (from the first versions) and it works fine on my 5.0.1 device :(
Please try to save to different directories (and make sure the device is not connected to the computer in this moment).
After the next unsuccessful attempt please send me the log from SunVox: device SD card/Android/data/nightradio.sunvox/files/sunvox_log.txt
Kid_lofi

Post by Kid_lofi »

Ok, I have just attempted to save to SD card (phone is not plugged into computer, I'm on a train - technology is like magic sometimes!), and I have attached the log file here. Thank you for looking at this!
sunvox_log.txt
(1 KiB) Downloaded 345 times
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Ok, thank you!
Now please tell me, when you open the "Save Project" window and press HOME button, what path do you see near the HOME button?
Kid_lofi

Post by Kid_lofi »

It's:
storage/emulated/0/Android/data/nightradio.sunvox/files
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Oh, i see now... There is the new SAF (Storage Access Framework) API from the Android 4.4. And now every application must use this API to write to the root of the external SD card. SunVox is not Java-application. It is pure native code. But there is no SAF interface for the native applications :(
So there are only two places where the SunVox can write its files now:
1) internal storage (default);
2) special SunVox folder on the external SD card: storage/extSdCard/Android/data/nightradio.sunvox/files/

I will try to find some another solutions...
Kid_lofi

Post by Kid_lofi »

WOO :Yahoo!:
2) is a perfect solution for me! Thanks for your help, and being so great!