Do you work with MIDI controllers?

dusicyon

Do you work with MIDI controllers?

Post by dusicyon »

So guys, it's me annoying again, :oops:
I saw that sunvox works fine with midi keyboards, I could use my old yamaha keyboard (does not have pads/knobs... just the black and white nice notes :) ) not only to send but too receive data too, so cool features! I'm thinking of picking up some controllers to have more control over my music, and even use sunvox in Live PAs.
Anyone knows if sunvox works with knobs/faders/start/stop, and this kind of thing? Is there anything related in the todo list?
I saw cool videos on youtube where is really possible to use sunvox for synthesizing and mixing live with iPad, but I'm notebook based and my pc does not have touch screen. One thing that would really take sunvox to the moon would be some midi/key learn mode. It can be a feature from the controller itself? Anyone tested it, like alesis mpk, akai apc...
I don't know really if it's sunvox focus, once it's focused in demoscene. But it would make some wonderful workflow.
Sachbearbeiter

Re: Do you work with MIDI controllers?

Post by Sachbearbeiter »

Hey,
there is already a feature request concerning midi controller signals, but no response till now.

Another thing, if I use sunvox with my midi keyboard, e.g. as a simple sampler, CPU usage increases over time.
It's a bit like notes are not terminated correctly, and so with every new note CPU usage increases and because of that after a while it starts to produce artefacts.
Did you experienced the same problem?
At the moment I'm not 100% sure if CPU usage doesn't grow over time without midi triggered notes.

Greetings
Sachi
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

if sunvox works with knobs/faders/start/stop
Only start/stop now. Knobs and faders will be supported in future updates.
if I use sunvox with my midi keyboard, e.g. as a simple sampler, CPU usage increases over time.
What is your system?
dusicyon

Post by dusicyon »

Thanks for the information. :)
I did not noticed that bug (using windows 7). Just the normal limit of polyphony all machine have. But I'm not sure.
Sachbearbeiter

Post by Sachbearbeiter »

NightRadio wrote:Only start/stop now. Knobs and faders will be supported in future updates.
that's awesome :good:
NightRadio wrote:What is your system?
the system used was a notebook (8years old/1.2ghz) with ubuntu 32-bit. The setup was a simple sampler with a polyphony of 8 routed through a reverb directly to the output module, no further module included. Midi input came through the alsa api. Starting playing it was all good but after 5 minutes or so sound starts to cripple and a short look to the cpu usage showed why.
The keyboard may have also sent control signals from time to time (pitchwheel is a bit loose)
I will try to reproduce the issue in the next days and give a more detailed description cause I would really love to use this great application for live music in the future.

sunvox also runs nice on my pandora, that's great ;-)
Sachbearbeiter

Post by Sachbearbeiter »

Hey,

i just wanted to inform you, that it was not possible for me to reproduce the issue yet. I tried to play around for a while and CPU usage looks still fine. Not sure what happened in the former setup.
thx again
Wolf204

Post by Wolf204 »

I'm using PC desktop version of you wonderfull program, and I'm using CME UF80 midi controler. For the record, controller works without any problems in other DAW program such as Ableton Lite. Issue that i have when connecting midi controler is that Sunvox is detecting the notes i play two octaves higher. C1 is played as C3 etc... Is there a setting that I might be missing out? +/- octave button in interface just shifts the octave view not input notes.
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Wolf204,
please try the Relative Note parameter in the Module Properties window.
UNLO

Post by UNLO »

Hello,

I have an Akai MPK49 keyboard. I also have Android MiniPC. I've installed the latest version of SunVOX and i can see the MIDI settings. However, It never shows the AKAI as connected when plugged in. I've tried connecting the Keyboard Before opening the SunVox app. But it doesn't seem to make a difference. Is there a video or instructions for correctly configuring the keyboard to work with SunVOX? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a musician in my life that Desperately needs an outlet and i'm trying my best to provide with the tools @ hand. This software seems very feature rich and advanced.
fairshuru

Post by fairshuru »

For the record, controller works without any problems in other DAW program such as Ableton Lite. Issue that i have when connecting midi controler is that Sunvox is detecting the notes i play two octaves higher. C1 is played as C3 etc... Is there a setting that I might be missing out? +/- octave button in interface just shifts the octave view not input notes.
=== Solitaire ===
iaon

Post by iaon »

Main Menu -> Preferences -> MIDI -> Octave offset