ARM/CE version overload even when rendering???

organic io

ARM/CE version overload even when rendering???

Post by organic io »

Hey Nightradio..

I know the ARM version has issues with overload because it is 13 bit, I also know that I frequently kill my Mobilepro's CPU with too many FX...

So recently I had the idea to render the work in progress out so I could listen to it while walking to the car and such, without stuttering from the CPU being overloaded.

I noticed that even on the 16 bit render, there was some overloading, so I thought I would do a test with 32 bit render... Surely that would sound, good, right?

Wrong...
http://www.loopproject.com/filebase/sdc ... erload.wav
Here's a clip of part of the 32 bit render at the worst part. The wav is 16 bit only because I exported it back to 16 after trimming it in Audacity.

It's definitely not a clipping issue because the levels are way down, you can tell from the wav, they only peak around -7.4db

The same kind of nastiness happens in sunvox_lofi.exe for win32.

Is this normal behavior?
NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: ARM/CE version overload even when rendering???

Post by NightRadio »

This is normal behavior :)
You should know, that the ARM 13-bit (4.12 to be precise) version have no real 32-bit engine at all. And even if you try to export your song to 32-bit WAV, rendering will be executed in 4.12 fixed point mode. In the ARM version the only difference between 16-bit and 32-bit export is slightly wider dynamic range for 32-bit version. But not more. If you have overload in your song, the only solution is to use real 32-bit SunVox version (Windows, Linux, OSX).
organic io

Re: ARM/CE version overload even when rendering???

Post by organic io »

OK, good to know. :)

For the final I always render everything out on the desktop before mixing in Reaper.. I was just hoping to get a clean render of works in progress on the go.

Thanks for the quick reply!