productivity hacks, get things done

leondustar

productivity hacks, get things done

Post by leondustar »

i was wondering how sunvoxers manage / separate patterns.

1. do you separate fx-automations in separate patterns?
2. do you separate drums from melodies, or just everything in one
pattern (classical tracker style)?
3. Do you refactor patterns by splitting them up later?
4. Do you use metamodules to wrap up / trigger phrases using notes (Pattern play: yes)

i would love to hear things you've learned the hard way (to get things done quickly) 8)

thank you.
RayureBob

Re: productivity hacks, get things done

Post by RayureBob »

1. It depends on what i'm trying to do. If I need a "global" automation (for instance toying with a filter freq to which multiple modules are linked) i usually do a separate pattern. If I'm doing "local" changes I just add a track to the pattern containing

2. What I like the most is creating a pattern for the drums and create another pattern in which I put evevery other thing, providing it is making some sound. again, for FX, it depends according to what I said before, sometime I put local automations in this pattern, other I seperate them if they are of a larger scale.

3. I rarely split them because I tend to make little patterns. I'm curious about this btw, how long are your patterns usually ? I'm not really making any music according to the standards EDM structure, everything I do is kind of experimental.

4. I never used metamodules to wrap entire phrases, but sometime I wrap up a note with a specific automation in a pattern inside a metamodules to play it at will outside with "Pattern play: yes"

Aside from that I'm always cloning/copy pasting patterns to create variations of previously created patterns. Nothing advanced or special
leondustar

Re: productivity hacks, get things done

Post by leondustar »

1. thanks, this local vs global-rule of thumb sounds clever.

3. usually 64 rows. Sometimes with some probability-effects or LFO-effects too keep it 'alive'. Most of the buildup/beatdrops are done using muting.

4. interesting, i should try this to wrap up a multi-note 'stab'-sound as well.

And yes, the cloning-feature is a god send.
Something I've wanted in trackers for a long time.
Anyways, thanks for sharing!