LETS MAKE HARDCORE BREAKS

hseiken

LETS MAKE HARDCORE BREAKS

Post by hseiken »

I hit record and just did whatever I felt like.

Anyone interested in process, here's a video all about it; it's unedited, unscripted, unininteresting and uninspired.

https://youtu.be/7u_2Jkx1XOo

TECHNICAL DETAILS:
Sunvox 1.93b X86 LOFI/Integer version running on WIN8(64BIT)
Special Metamodule constructions:
2 Band Compressor with Crossover
Filter Multitap Delay (aka tape dub delay)
Lots of sampling stuff
Acieeeeeeeeeeeeed
And BASSSSSSSS (keep your subs control ready, might get a little nasty here and there)
WARNINGThis angry old nerd may rant about modern computers or computer culture! It is not directed at you 99% of the time! Ignore it if it seems silly or personal!
hseiken

Re: LETS MAKE HARDCORE BREAKS

Post by hseiken »

New video showing taking a 'sketchy' idea and polishing and arranging it up for final sound.

It's long, it's boring, but it's jungle, 93 stylee.
WARNINGThis angry old nerd may rant about modern computers or computer culture! It is not directed at you 99% of the time! Ignore it if it seems silly or personal!
TheMonopluralist

Post by TheMonopluralist »

I've not been signed in for a while but just wanted to say that these videos you have been posting are massively useful, despite (or because of?) their length.

As a confirmed junglist, it is excellent to see someone else using sunvox in similar ways to myself (although much better organised, and with better results). It's really interesting/informative watching the way you play with breaks and general workflow for achieving a certain style.

For someone like myself, with not very much tracker background before sunvox, it is very helpful to see how certain techniques work in practice. The break slicing metamodule is also extremely useful as a tool.

In conclusion, thanks very much dude!
hseiken

Post by hseiken »

Cool, mang. I'm used to 'classic' trackers which keep all the notes for the entire song in each pattern so that's typically how I work, but Sunvox obviously allows a more 'DAW-centric' approach in that each instrument can have it's own clips you can arrange in the sequencer. It's just easier for me to think about change-ups and flourishes when I can see everything at once on the same pattern. :)

If you ever have any questions about anything, feel free to ask me and I look forward to hearing other junglists MAKE SOME NOISE UP IN THE PLACE! :D
TheMonopluralist

Post by TheMonopluralist »

Questions?! I could learn a lot no doubt.

How do you find mixing the creation of the break-play styles I've seen you make, with the "single slice repitching" quickfire techniques of the more technical yet brutal jungle styles of people who have come from the octamed/s950 (akai) school of early jungle: amen rinseout badbwoys like equinox, for example. How easy do you find it to pull off something close to sounds from that era/style? (I was going to use the phrase "authentic-sounding" but it has all the wrong connotations, when what I am looking to do is make something original, but everything involves frames of reference!)

Would you be interested in doing a video where you make a track/pattern that is mostly drum programming and "sub-bass" bass-line, with a little bit of higher sample/synth layer, where you show some of the ways you can use the tracker side of sunvox for more complex drum-sample programming with breaks? I am not asking you to do it unless it's something you enjoy doing, but if so just a screencast bizniss like some of your other vids would be ace.

I use sunvox predominantly on a raspberry pi, and find that focusing more on the programming means I can do a lot, then move to PC if I need to add processing beyond what the pi can comfortably handle, but lack the tracker experience and there's only so much you can learn about tracking in sunvox from watching/reading octamed/milkytracker/renoise tutorials without having used them.

Lighter crew.
hseiken

Post by hseiken »

For that kind of work, you probably have 2 options and I've done both and there's no 'easy way' to do any of it that I've found, but I also am strong about the motto 'you get out what you put in' so if you are willing to put in the work, there's no reason you can't get something cool out of it. For the 2 options, really it's whether you put in the work at the time of making the song, or before the song even gets started.

Option 1: Make a metamachine that routes individual keys to individual sample manipulations including specific chains of effects and chop points.
Option 2: Ignore option one and do it all on the fly using pattern commands like 7, 9, 1C and 19. (offset%, offset sample, sample cut and retrigger). Since the new sunvox lets you chain effects together from multiple rows (i.e. you can put multiple sampler effects on single row now) it's probably a viable option if you want more flexibility. You would theoretically hook a single sampler up to multiple amp modules that each connect to unique effect chains and then turn on and off the different amps during the song. For option 1, you would actually separate your keyboard up how you want with each key routing to different effects chains. You would lose ability to do sample offsets, though, but would still have access to sample retrigger and sample cut. This would mean stuff like bizarre pitch shifting and time stretching would have to be done via the pitch module. If you wanted to control that stuff, you could add controllers to them via the metamodule interface.

Since this is something you're interested and I am slated to work tomorrow on the finale to the current album which is in the Amen territory, I can work in a section where the amen just gets thrown 'in the proverbial blender' to demo some of that stuff to maybe give you an idea of how you can tackle it. I don't think I'm the expert on anything regarding this style, but I certainly have done a little bit of it before and such, so we'll see how it goes. If nothing amazingly out of the blue keeps me from my time slot tomorrow to work on it, video of this should be up by saturday and I'll try to remember to post it here. Until then, I think you probably know what to do, but like me, you dread the work involved...cause it's definitely tedious to do it 'right' which is why guys like Remarc become legends for that kind of thing. ;)
hseiken

Post by hseiken »

I think I dork around much more than I intended to with the amen tomfoolery, but I do go through several stages showing a couple ways to handle stuff. I don't get especially crazy like some of the drill n bass doods, but hopefully you get some ideas...at the end, I run all the routings and special effects into a sampler, resample them and make a custom sampler-setup with a little bit of variety (not a lot) and mix it up in the patterns. If you don't get bored, you'll see what I mean, hopefully.

Warning: Contains NSFW language/samples
speak

Post by speak »

I make some drumfunk in Sunvox every once in a while, I'll post some examples at some point. I use sample offset 07 for "slicing" the breaks. SunVox is pretty much made for oldskool dnb, as pointed out lots of old dnb was made with trackers just like this.
hseiken

Post by hseiken »

speak wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:11 pm I make some drumfunk in Sunvox every once in a while, I'll post some examples at some point. I use sample offset 07 for "slicing" the breaks. SunVox is pretty much made for oldskool dnb, as pointed out lots of old dnb was made with trackers just like this.
Sweet, can't wait to hear/see!
speak

Post by speak »

Also hah I just checked your videos out, doesn't look like you need any help, good stuff mate! I'll still post something from my vaults or something fresh. (I generally use Ardour as my main DAW for jungle, because sunvox still has a bunch of usability issues that make composing a bit tedious)
hseiken

Post by hseiken »

Latest stream/recording from the lab.

This stream is probably interesting for newer users since there's not a lot that's especially 'detailed' in the tracking elements, it's all about sample selection, sample editing and basic arrangement.
a1matt

Post by a1matt »

Fellow hardcore and jungle fan checking in.

I'm late too the party and see your youtube channel is down.

Any chance of these videos being reupped ever?