Optimization Suggestions

Keres

Optimization Suggestions

Post by Keres »

Originally, I had a really killer glass-break type sound using the FM synth, but when I looked at the CPU monitor I thought that module was consuming a few too many cycles to be functional. I replaced the FM synth with a regular analog synth module, but the CPU didn't go down. At this point I have to blame the drain on a metamodule within a metamodule that has speed commands issued to it. If you look at my slaybells, pretty sure that this is the same case download/file.php?id=601

anyone know how to get nested metamodules to behave with speed commands?

:pardon: :pardon: :pardon:
Attachments
Keres_Glassbreak1.sunsynth
(28.6 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
Keres

Re: Optimization Suggestions

Post by Keres »

ok, fixed my own problem this time. if you use several Snd2ctrl modules and have the sample rates on all of them jacked up... it's gong to use tons of CPU. Attached is the fixed Keres_Glassbreak+.sunsynth patch.

I suppose that using the snd2ctrl at a high sample rate to process a high quality input would be necessary, but at that point you are talking about restoration and de-noising routines... things that probably don't need to be done in real time. Maybee if you had a hot singer directly inputting vocals It would be worth it, but several snd2ctrls with their sample rates really high would start to lag, especially they were all controlling the same synth or effect.
Attachments
Keres_Glassbreak2.sunsynth
(29.94 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Actually it was my mistake to allow the sample rate 32768 Hz for the Sound2Ctl :)
1000-2000 Hz freqs are already extreme, and i almost don't know when you may need a higher values.
Usually the most suitable range is 50-500 Hz.

And you are right, the CPU load may increase significantly on high sample rates. Especially if two Sound2Ctls are connected to the same module.
But i will try to optimize this code in the upcoming release.
Keres

Post by Keres »

I was trying to actually make a restoration or de-noiser effect, but i just don't have time this evening. Here is a little "Clown Delay" i made using the sample rate and smoothing of the snd2ctrl. You can see that when you hit the "boldness" slider all the way up, the CPU goes up (about 11% on my machine). Fun little effect.

:beer: :beer: :beer:
Attachments
Keres_ClownDelay.sunsynth
(8.05 KiB) Downloaded 245 times