Hertz to hexadecimal conversion?

Trickle

Hertz to hexadecimal conversion?

Post by Trickle »

One thing that always confused me about SunVox was the way it measured hertz. Let's say I wanted to sync my LFO speed to my tempo. My tempo is 140, so I'll need 2.33 Hz for every quarter note. How would I implement these values into SunVox with hex numbers?
Keres

Re: Hertz to hexadecimal conversion?

Post by Keres »

set the LFO units to Hz/64 and use rate 149... or set it to lines and value = 4. either way, the bar length is 0.429... i think that is actually a 16th note?
Keres

Post by Keres »

Here are the first 2000 slider values in Hz/64.
Attachments
Hz_to_Slider.ods.zip
(37.47 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
Keres

Post by Keres »

also, remember to set the phase at the beginning of the combo or whatever, because sunvox just keeps the LFo's rolling when you stop or re-play.
Keres

Post by Keres »

oh, shit you said hex, in Libre Office you just use the function DEC2HEX(Number,Places)
the correct tracker collumn command would be 0095 for 149 in decimal. check the fixed spreadsheet.
Attachments
Hz_to_Slider.ods.zip
(53.99 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
Keres

Post by Keres »

hey, why dont you just set the LFO to use lines and reset the LFO phase at each start of pattern?
Trickle

Post by Trickle »

Using lines might actually work, but why is the value set to 4? is it because my tempo is 140? This slider looks useful. I didn't know LibreOffice had a DEC2HEX converter. Thanks for the info, you've been a major help.
Keres

Post by Keres »

well i assume that you tempo is 140 BPMs at 6 TPB. if that is the case then lines=4 is quarter note, lines =2 is 8th note, and lines =1 is 1/6th note (depending on how you sequence). at 140, which is Dubstep... alot of people actually sequence a 32 line pattern as 70 bpm's with the possibility of 1/32 notes... just depends. But the moral of the story is that you can set an LFO to be synced with the lines of the pattern, and synced EXACTLY with the set phase command.

also, i just noticed that the unit Hz/64 works a little funny. for a value of 149 (which would be 2.33333*64) you would use a tracker command value of 4a4b. this seems to sync up nicely. looks like he did this to get really long values.