Sunvox recreation: "Bass Design 14: "Eptic" style bass in Serum"

SawZer

Sunvox recreation: "Bass Design 14: "Eptic" style bass in Serum"

Post by SawZer »

So I was on youtube and I came across this tutorial for serum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfTxZisflYI
I thought to myself, "Yep, I can do that", so I spent the next 15 or so minutes trying to emulate the sound in the video.
I think I got pretty close. Attached is the project file, which is also a great template for dubstep basses in general, so go wild with it.

(I was fairly certain this was the right board to post this, but I'm sorry if it isn't)
Attachments
VidBassRecreationSawZer_3-27-16.7z
(6.09 KiB) Downloaded 563 times
spktkpkt

Re: Sunvox recreation: "Bass Design 14: "Eptic" style bass in Serum"

Post by spktkpkt »

Awesome, very informative. Thank you for sharing!
leondustar

Post by leondustar »

very nice!
I've already noticed your excellend sunvox-fu in other patches, so keep em coming!
Could you be so kind to elaborate a bit on the internals?
template.png
template.png (17.85 KiB) Viewed 2780 times

What is the idea behind the the shapable LFO-machine? It allows retriggering the LFO applied to the generators?
limiter.png
limiter.png (7.38 KiB) Viewed 2780 times

Interesting, an echo combined with a compressor, yet it seems to be used as a subtle utility, rather than a noticable 'echo'.
Im curious your motivation behind this.

hope all is well,

Leon
SawZer

Post by SawZer »

Thanks!

The shapeable LFO module lets me do a couple of really neat things that the standard LFO can't. Not only can I draw the shape I want for the LFO, I can control its speed rather precisely, and it always starts at the beginning now matter the rate.

The echo and compressor is Gilzad's idea. The function is to create a "Look-Ahead Compressor", by delaying the signal to be compressed by 1ms (with no feedback and mono, wet 100%). Very useful tool. Lower the release to ~35 on the compressor and it makes an effective limiter.