Delayed Vibrato

monoben

Delayed Vibrato

Post by monoben »

Hi again, I have a single note being sounded for about 4 seconds but after 2 seconds or so I want vibrato. I want it to fade in gently and I don't want to have to do it the manual way. Anyone worked out how to have the vibrato kick in after a second or two? I hear a lot of singers do this sort of thing where they hold a note steady for a second or two then give it some vibrato at the end. When I attach a sound2ctl to the amplitude of the vibrato module it just clicks and ticks and pops. I see there is a delay vibrato in the MetaModules section of the forum but as the sound fades across from the steady note to the vibrato note there is a moment between where the two sounds are out of phase, because vibrato is a pitch bend. So for just a moment in the cross fade there is a strong beating. There must be a way to bring on a smooth vibrato after a second or two, any ideas on this one?
iaon

Re: Delayed Vibrato

Post by iaon »

Now that MetaModules can be pitched (Arpeggiator mode) you could put a single sustained note inside a MM and do the gradual vibrato with the standard effect, put an envelope on the MM (Apply Velocity) using a generator or a sampler sound2ctling its volume (synced by Multisynth).
Also, the sampler has delayed vibrato ('sweep') built in.
hseiken

Post by hseiken »

Here's an example of how to do it.

Adjust the ATTACK of the synth that feeds into SOUND2CTRL in order to change the delay. Adjust the GAIN on it to adjust the final vibrato amount.

Is this what you wanted?
Attachments
vibrato_delay_example.sunvox
(3.12 KiB) Downloaded 553 times
WARNINGThis angry old nerd may rant about modern computers or computer culture! It is not directed at you 99% of the time! Ignore it if it seems silly or personal!
monoben

Post by monoben »

iaon:
the sampler has delayed vibrato ('sweep') built in

Yes, but its doesn't work like how I want it to. Its a smooth fade over the life of the sample. I want a short and smooth transition in the middle somewhere.

you could put a single sustained note inside a MM and do the gradual vibrato with the standard effect, put an envelope on the MM (Apply Velocity) using a generator or a sampler sound2ctling its volume (synced by Multisynth).
Ill try this straight away!

hseiken:
Thanks but your example dose what I wanted to avoid. Listen closely and you can hear the clicks and ticks and pops as the amplitude slider of the vibrato module is moved.
hseiken

Post by hseiken »

The clicks and pops are avoidable, but you can do other things to correct that. but the basic set up is there, you'll need additional meta machine setup...if you use a wave shaper on the generator with the attack the way it is, you coudl suppress the volume until it reaches a certain level, getting your instant vibrato after xxxx time.
WARNINGThis angry old nerd may rant about modern computers or computer culture! It is not directed at you 99% of the time! Ignore it if it seems silly or personal!
iaon

Post by iaon »

Hmm, the extra envelope I mentioned above is of course superfluous if you just use the Generator's own envelope...
BonnyEdgerly

Post by BonnyEdgerly »

As per my experience the MetaModules can be pitched you could put a single sustained note inside a MM and do the gradual vibrato with the standard effect, put an envelope on the MM (Apply Velocity) using a generator or a sampler sound2ctling its volume.
Also, the sampler has delayed vibrato built in.
TheBlu30ne

Post by TheBlu30ne »

Use a multysynth connect it on a sound of your choice. Then connect that multisynth to another multisynth with option: always C5. Connect that multisynth with a sin generator and set the pitch really low like -80 (Frequency) and its volume to your choice (Amplitude) Set some attack to make it fade the vibrato. Connect the first soundSource to a modulator and then the sin generator to it. If you want an offset instead of fading it, use an echo module or delay (Echo is easier cause you don't have to set both Left and Right) and delay the sound signal between the sin generator and the modulator.

This should work :D
If you have any problems with it, PM me if you want
El Nino

Post by El Nino »

@ hseiken, I think I remember your name from PSPSEQ days. Are you the creator of PSPSEQ?