DJ LIve Performance Setup

hseiken

DJ LIve Performance Setup

Post by hseiken »

Hi, I made this demo showing it's possible to put together a decent live rig in SunVox.

Hit play to start, mess with the sliders on the lone Machine.

The sliders do the following:
MASTER MIX: Master volume of musical elements, doesn't affect record player.
PAD MIX: Mixing Console Volume Slider
MELODY MIX: Mixing Console Volume SLider
BASS MIX: Mixing Console Volume Slider
DRUM MIX: Mixing Console Volume SLider
BITCRUSH: Bitcrushes global audio
FILTER FREQ: Filters Mix
WARP: Like an old tape deck
CHOPPER: Like 'chopped and screwed' type effect. You must move this slider a little bit once and wait a moment before it's fully functional. it works best to slam it like a dj fader...think of slider to left original record, slider to right is 1/8th note time behind..good for remixing.
DJ LOOPER CHUNK SIZE: Sets the size of the buffer looper
DJ LOOPER ON/OFF: Flick it to do some stuttering.

The ideal way to take this further would be to create a multi-synth and have it control multiple 'pattern machines' like this and set up it's velocity sensitivity so that it's a drum map, then for all the goofy stuff you could also create one more glitch machine (which I think I'll try to create...a global 'dj screwball' machine)...

Anyway, enjoy.
Attachments
JamSessionDemo.sunvox.zip
(6.52 KiB) Downloaded 488 times
WARNINGThis angry old nerd may rant about modern computers or computer culture! It is not directed at you 99% of the time! Ignore it if it seems silly or personal!
z5h

Re: DJ LIve Performance Setup

Post by z5h »

Great work. Thanks for sharing. Have you used anything like this live?
hseiken

Re: DJ LIve Performance Setup

Post by hseiken »

I don't do shows, but yeah, I've made recordings doing arrangement like this. I don't think it should add much extra CPU overhead to add control layers until you're abstracted enough to control the important bits of a whole song. Depending on what you wanted to do, as well, those effects might go to specific tracks and such. Maybe one could create an effect mapper with a couple of groups...hmmm...
WARNINGThis angry old nerd may rant about modern computers or computer culture! It is not directed at you 99% of the time! Ignore it if it seems silly or personal!