Software simulator of the unique Russian synthesizer
NightRadio
Site Admin

Virtual ANS 2.0 is out!

Post by NightRadio »

Good news! :)
The new Virtual ANS 2.0 is out!
http://warmplace.ru/soft/ans
Now it is available for Android, iOS, Windows, Linux and OSX.
iOS version is on the way.

Virtual ANS is a software simulator of the unique Russian synthesizer ANS - photoelectronic microtonal/spectral musical instrument created by Russian engineer Evgeny Murzin from 1938 to 1958.
The instrument was used by Stanislav Kreichi, Alfred Schnittke, Edison Denisov, Sofia Gubaidulina, Edward Artemiev and other Soviet composers. You can hear the sound of the ANS in Andrei Tarkovsky's movies Solaris, The Mirror, Stalker.

While the other similar programs are just fun toys, the Virtual ANS is a full-featured professional tool which allows you to create unusual, deep, atmospheric sounds. With this app you can draw a complete piece of music, or convert sound to image (sonogram) and then make some complex sonogram modifications.
Actually the potential of the program has not been explored yet, so it (as well as PixiVisor) is more appropriate for people who are searching for something new, not afraid to experiment with sound.

Key features:
  • unique Virtual Analog sound engine;
  • unlimited number of pure tone generators;
  • powerful sonogram editor - you can draw the spectrum and play it at the same time;
  • any sound (from a WAV file or a Microphone/Line-in) can be converted to image (sonogram) and vice versa;
  • MIDI Input (only for Windows, Linux, OSX and iOS);
  • supported file formats: WAV, PNG, JPEG, GIF, VNS (Virtual ANS 1.x);
  • supported sound systems: ASIO, DirectSound, MME, ALSA, OSS, JACK (iOS and Linux), Audiobus;
  • iOS: iTunes File Sharing;
  • iOS: Wi-Fi Export/Import;
  • more functions in the next Virtual ANS updates...

trekeyus

Re: Virtual ANS 2.0 is out!

Post by trekeyus »

looks like a slick synthesizer. will be sure to try it on on the desktop.
samrai katt kovboy

Post by samrai katt kovboy »

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH MR NIGHTRADIO!
Downloaded it yesterday night /evening for PC and Android and fucking hell is it inspiring!!!
Love it already.
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANY CIRCLES
AMechanics

Post by AMechanics »

Thanks for bringing us this, Alex..it looks really interesting. I downloaded the PC version today and briefly played around with it for a while..and have to say it's a great synth for producing ambient music / soundscapes. Have to be honest and tell you I've yet to master it, but somehow I think I'll be using it a lot in my future projects.

Also, for the record, I'll be making a small donation soon..wish it could be more, but funds are limited right now..but hopefully I'll be able to donate more later. Please keep working on this and expand it further is possible.

Thanks again

Dan (AMechanics)
the fleshy timeclock

Post by the fleshy timeclock »

I just downloaded this on my Windows 7 tablet and it's fantastic! I am so excited to have another tool that opens my mind to different ways of thinking about music like this.

I can't wait to start creating tracks with it.

I also just discovered yesterday that there is a very interesting architect who teaches drawing at the University of Michigan where I work. I hope to maybe approach him to invite a collaboration in which I can use some of his drawings as source material to create an album with ANS 2.0.

Thank you!
samrai katt kovboy

Hi Mr Nightradio have been playing a lot with Virtual ANS and am in love!
Only one thing that bugs me is that there is only one Undo...
As it is easy to push a wrong button and so it is easy to not be able to do the undo that you want to do and plus that it would be very convenient in either case to be able to do more Undo's.
But boy oh boy had a good time today recording things on the street and cutting up frequencies and making harmonies from the street noise...
spurkopf

Post by spurkopf »

Yes, this looks very interesting and inspiring. Big thanks for it.
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Thanks! :)

samrai katt kovboy,
i agree with you about the Undo.
As for the buttons - there is temporary solution. You can change the size of UI elements. Just go to the Settings -> System -> Interface -> Scale -> and set some different "Button scale" value
Noiseisgood

Post by Noiseisgood »

Thank you for this wonderful soft.
I still have to go deeper with it but i find the GUI really sweet.
There are a lot of similar software but this one brings something more: it blurs the line between sound (or noise) and music. I like the way you can jump between beats, freeze the progressions and use the midi/PC keyboard to enter melodic lines.
I see a lot of potential there. I have already some ideas for features requests :)

Keep up the great work!!!
samrai katt kovboy

Yes I have to requests that would be good additions I think...
One would be to be able to loop parts...as a lot of times the bars can get too long and you want to manipulate a smaller area...
The second would be to have an area or the possibilities to copy / paste parts outside of the area that plays the sound...
The last request is only important on the mobile devices as I discovered yesterday that you can open many instances and copy paste in between them...

Just something to make thing easier but it does not matter too much as I am addicted anyway!
Right now I am forcing myself to put aside time for things that I should do and wait until the evening to spark Virtual ANS up but it is HARD!!!
mrgum6y

Post by mrgum6y »

O.M.G. Take my money already!

As an android user i look forward to the midi input implementation.
Can i ask any other ANS user is the input mappable against time and not just pitch - i know, silly question, this is after all the point of ANS,I'm just excited to know.

MG

PS
Brilliant work Alex, Thank you. :good:
tajnost

Post by tajnost »

Just wondering what's happening with iOS version? Is it waiting to be approved by Apple Store or there's another reason for delay with it?
gerulf

Post by gerulf »

How to run this soft on my Windows Mobile HP IPAQ 214? Is it possible? Please,help. Thanks!
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Windows Mobile - no sorry. Virtual ANS will never be available for this system.
As for the iOS version: unfortunately the first version was rejected by Apple due to some minor bug in code. Not it is fixed and reuploaded to App Store again. I think that the new approval process will be shorter...
SapereAude

Post by SapereAude »

Happy to discover that this is released for IOS! I've been waiting for an app just like this. I've got it installed, but how do I get images into it??

Thanks!

Jamie