Button to update automation states relative to playhead position.

Saltbearer

Button to update automation states relative to playhead position.

Post by Saltbearer »

A button which seeks automation commands backwards from the timeline's playhead when pressed, updating each automated element to the chronologically-last-set value found in the project. Toggleably, the check could be performed each time playback is about to start.

I feel like I'd work a lot more quickly and comfortably if I wouldn't have to backtrack to automation state confirmation patterns each time I need to listen to sections of what I'm working on nonlinearly. I would immediately begin automating things more freely, and be more satisfied with the dynamic content of my music.
queries

Re: Button to update automation states relative to playhead position.

Post by queries »

I like this idea! It seems this would only work with projects that were entirely deterministic though.

That is, they have commands at the very beginning to set controllers to an initial state, and all modulation of controllers happened with no randomness introduced.

Some other things that might confound it, besides randomness:

LFO phases are not automatically reset when playback starts.

Controllers manipulated via Sound2Ctl mean that SunVox would have to render the audio signal paths involved, vs only parsing the values set via the tracker.
Saltbearer

Re: Button to update automation states relative to playhead position.

Post by Saltbearer »

Ooo, didn't think about S2Ctls doing weird things. LFO phase seemed like it could be processed quickly, buuut probably not with an S2C changing its rate between phase triggers... or this kind of optimized™ design:
efficient design.sunvox
(6.04 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
Would still be helpful just to trigger commands, but if you want the manual prep to be completely eliminated, I guess there's no getting around fast-forwarding from the beginning to ensure that certain things are accurate. darn.