Timeline option: Pattern summary

Saltbearer

Timeline option: Pattern summary

Post by Saltbearer »

This isn't essential, but because I'm terribly disorganized, I often have to make sure I'm not copying and pasting patterns with automation that I wouldn't want duplicated shoved into tracks or lines that aren't readily visible in the pattern view. And sometimes I just can't remember where I put something, especially in old projects, and with tiny, monochromatic module and controller numbers shoved into the same patterns. Being able to glance at a summary of a pattern's contents might be a nice option.

[I just quickly mocked something up with patterns in an active project and deleted it after taking a screenshot. Module names would probably be included too if controller names would be.]

Anyone else think they'd benefit? Any more useful information that could be squeezed into the corner?
hseiken

Re: Timeline option: Pattern summary

Post by hseiken »

With the exception of the new pattern commands, you can actually separate automation from notes in their own patterns. Have you tried this or does it add more messiness to your workflow? :p
WARNINGThis angry old nerd may rant about modern computers or computer culture! It is not directed at you 99% of the time! Ignore it if it seems silly or personal!
FacelessPanda

Re: Timeline option: Pattern summary

Post by FacelessPanda »

Well, if you're going to have to select the pattern to see its summary, how's it better or more convenient than just looking at the pattern editor when selecting patterns?

If you really want quick summaries, put them on the pattern visualizer on the timeline, and not need selection.

But honestly, in the end, it's just much better to organize your patterns in a way that makes it easy to work with.
You may do one instrument per pattern or a whole orchestra, one single chord riff per pattern or long progressions, however you want but always in a way that makes sense.

I'd say names, icons, and colors are enough to keep a neat timeline where you remember what each pattern contains