Midi: menu navigation, and additional shortcuts

TheMonopluralist

Midi: menu navigation, and additional shortcuts

Post by TheMonopluralist »

Thoughts...?

-Could "replace module", "load module" and "delete module" be added to the shortcuts menu?

-Could there be a shortcut to allow you to connect modules together?

- Could there be a way of navigating the menus and (especially the "load module" menu) via midi?

-Could there be a way of scrolling through modules quickly by midi, or selecting them by module number over midi, via shortcuts if necessary?

-Would it be possible to allow the mute/bypass/solo toggles to work for specific modules, rather than whichever is currently selected.

I have been trying to find ways of using sunvox with a midi controller and a screen without a typing keyboard, this would really help it be useful for a lot more than playing with pre-made patches. I appreciate that it is possible than some of these issues may be solved a different way than suggested here.
Koekepan

Re: Midi: menu navigation, and additional shortcuts

Post by Koekepan »

Seems to me that your feature list would be a lot more elegantly implemented by allowing channels to be assigned to modules for multi-input, and then keeping a mouse on hand. Your MIDI device keeps talking to its assigned module on its assigned channel, and you can go as nuts with your mouse (or finger on touchscreen, or whatever) as you like.

That way you can even assign the mute/solo buttons to the MIDI controllers in question and directly control them (from one board even, if you have a multi-channel controller).
TheMonopluralist

Thanks for giving your thoughts. Although I agree, a lot more can be achieved with a mouse or touchscreen input method, it would be great to reduce the dependency on either of these items as it is exactly what i am looking to move away from. I realise this is a limited-case use for sunvox of course!

Assuming I wanted to make a no-touchscreen-input no-mouse-or-keyboard instrument with it was my starting point for these suggestions. I realised (of course) after posting them that they were not perfect, and that there are many more steps before it can really be used in this way (selecting and tweaking parameters, most obviously, rather than only using pre-mapped parameters, although even that is sort-of doable with a "connect module" shortcut and some multictls).

The MIDI channel-to-module idea is definitely one option from a number of possible MIDI improvements, but even that would still need the option to map the mute, solo & bypass to MIDI per module to be added. It is really good to know that this software is still being worked on tho, particularly the MIDI side of it. Mmmmmm.... MIDI.
transient

Post by transient »

TheMonopluralist wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:47 am

-Could there be a way of scrolling through modules quickly by midi, or selecting them by module number over midi, via shortcuts if necessary?

you can currently scroll through modules via midi

go to preferences>interface>shortcuts

then set a midi input to next module - previous module or next synth - previous synth
TheMonopluralist

Hey transient, thanks for this. I should have been much clearer here: i meant literally scrolling like with an encoder, left and right to go forwards/backwards through a whole load, rather than pressing a button a load of times. Possibly this will be solved in a future update with endless encoder support, but if not it would be good to see it incorporated in a different way, for my uses.