Tone2Ctl module

Koekepan

Tone2Ctl module

Post by Koekepan »

Input: tone information, as from Multisynth

Output: parameter control, as per Sound2Ctl

Use case: Multisynth to Spectravoice and Tone2Ctl. Spectravoice routed through Vocal Filter, Tone2Ctl adjusts Vocal Filter's vowel parameter based on tone input.

Discussion: In a conventional, hardware modular synth this is fairly easy. I would draw off the tone voltage and manipulate that to control other module parameters. In sunvox, it's really difficult. Still, it's a really useful ability.

It might be cool to be able to infer a tone from a sound signal, but that shouldn't be necessary for the basic plan.
Saltbearer

Re: Tone2Ctl module

Post by Saltbearer »

YES. This is one of those things that I can only remember would be nice to have the moment I need them. Specific use case that comes to mind is tying one to the panning of a synth piano for realism.
SolarLune

Post by SolarLune »

Since sound and tone are two different parts of the same signal, and the module itself would probably be mostly the exact same, I think I'd just suggest adding a Volume or Tone / Pitch selector to the Sound2Ctl module. But the idea's great, yeah. +1, for sure.

I could see it being a different module, though, if there were specific tone controls, like a "Tone Curve" or something, like the MultiSynth's velocity curve that allowed you to change the way the parameter data is generated from the tone's pitch, rather than it being a linear scale upwards. Or it could work for both Volume and Tone, and it could be on the Sound2Ctl module.
gigi

Post by gigi »

do you think that we could use it as a drum trigger or for that we need another dedicated module ?
Koekepan

Post by Koekepan »

This does not strike me as a good source for a drum trigger, although I reckon you could work something out.

For a drum trigger, it might be better to just use your multisynth to generate a signal to a synth that you only use for its envelope, then route through Sound2Ctrl.

Or just do an analogue drum synth sort of thing with generators.
ESA-kp

Post by ESA-kp »

Hi,

do you mean something like this?

The simple Generator(SIN) followed by the FilterPro Module, with an appropriate slope, are to convert the tone in the amplitude, so the Sound2Ctl moves the Vowel register of VocalFilter.

(for SunVox from 1.9 BETA1 (FilterPro module inside))
Attachments
Tone2ctl.sunvox
(5.71 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
Koekepan

Post by Koekepan »

Yes, that's about the closest approximation I've been able to come up with as well, but it's not really an ideal representation (and adds more clutter).