Midi In module

blacbeard

Midi In module

Post by blacbeard »

Description: Midi in Module is set to a midi in channel and has midi learn. It intakes midi note data from an external source (midi controller etc) and also midi CC data.
When Midi Learn button is pressed a knob, slider button etc can be pressed. It's corresponding CC value is displayed.
The Midi in module is linked to any number of other modules.
The learned CC can then be linked using internal parameters
first, one of the linked modules
second, the destination parameter of the destination module.

Any additional Midi in modules added should be assigned a new midi channel number.
Koekepan

Re: Midi In module

Post by Koekepan »

This would be a great way of solving one of my biggest desires in Sunvox.

Consider this a +1 post.
atarikai

Post by atarikai »

Yes! This is something that would be awesome to have. Multiple external midi controllers on different channels can be routed directly to a module chain.

Maybe have a "MIDI IN" module, a "ROUTE" module and a "CC IN" module?
With an LPD8 that has 8 pads and 8 knobs - the pads can send note data to MIDI IN that controls ROUTE which the CC IN module connects to.
So then you can select (ROUTE) which modules parameters you want the CC IN to modify by hitting the pads. I make patches like these alot in PD.

Having the ability to play and control the software live would really add to appeal for me. I really want to integrate some of my PureData workflow with Sunvox.
Kid_lofi

Post by Kid_lofi »

bump
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
Kubouch

Post by Kubouch »

So now it isn't possible to read my MIDI controller CC commands, right? I'm new to Sunvox but it looks very good but for my purpose I need a realtime communication with my MIDI controller which basically prevents me from using Sunvox.
GameGlomp

Post by GameGlomp »

Bump on this, I think. Not sure if I have the exact desire as everyone else here, but what I'd like is to be able to assign MIDI Controller buttons/sliders/faders/keys/etc to SunVox's parameters, transport buttons, menu buttons, keys, etc etc!

For example, my MIDI controller has Transport control buttons like "Play" and "Loop" and "Record"—It would be excellent to right click the play button in SunVox (or long-hold it on Android, etc) and click "Assign to Controller" or something similar and then just activate the "Play" transport button on my MIDI controller to have them sync.

Is this possible at the time? I have tried to do a lot of searching and testing on this issue myself but since I am fairly new to MIDI Controller assigning as well as SunVox, it's hard to figure out.

Thanks for any help, anyone!

Kudos to the creators of SunVox!
Koekepan

Post by Koekepan »

I think this should be quite feasible in UI terms.

Basically, it's a MIDI CC-mediated version of the Sound2Ctrl module. (Except for transport buttons, but if you have sunvox running, it shouldn't be hard to hit those with a mouse or finger.)

What this would really enable is sunvox acting as a multichannel MIDI recorder, as well as a reconfigurable synth for live MIDI-based performances.

I can even imagine it: half a dozen folks on stage, handling various MIDI controllers, maybe one of whom uses a control desk sort of system to handle compression, levels and effects. Pretty quick and easy setup for the gig as well - plug in your computer, plug in your MIDI devices to a USB hub, load up sunvox with your prepared setup, go nuts. You could use anything from a keyboard through pads through MIDI drum kit to breath controllers.

On the other hand, it would be fantastic in the studio. Record the MIDI CCs from a whole session, and then remaster and even revoice the whole thing quietly at home.

It would also make it a lot easier to record automation from a knob, fader, ribbon controller or so on, even while playing a keyboard.

This is a feature set which would elevate sunvox's capabilities vastly over so much other software, and yet I think (although I could be wrong) that it's just an incremental improvement in terms of where we are with MIDI systems now.