non-linear interpolation

opabecker

non-linear interpolation

Post by opabecker »

First of all, THANK YOU NightRadio for this amazing program!

A feature I would definitely use would be exponential or non-linear interpolation functions. If the Interpolate ctrl values and Interpolate velocity functions could do this, it would be easy to create volume swells (for example).

Thanks!
Anthony
El Nino

Re: non-linear interpolation

Post by El Nino »

+1 for exponential interpolation. perhaps various curves could be included in "envelopes for any parameter"
Saltbearer

Post by Saltbearer »

Yes pleeeeease. Adding (temporary?) automation points to the value columns while levels are shown would probably make it easy to manage...
Saltbearer

Post by Saltbearer »

Eh? 8)

El Nino

Post by El Nino »

@saltbearer I would absolutely love to have the ability to do that in sunvox. sometimes it can be very time consuming using interpolate control values over and over until I get what I want. Drawing with those points and lines as in your example would make things 10X faster and easier.

Having higher resolution than 1 change per line would be nice too. I'm thinking, something similar to the way automation lanes are handled in renoise would be awesome

jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

Why not just use "XXYY levels drawing"? It is easy to draw any curve or shape using this feature,.
El Nino

Post by El Nino »

Good point, but the interpolate control values way of doing it usually sounds smoother to me, unless its over too short a time.
When i use "xxyy levels drawing" i can usually hear the choppiness of the 'one change per pattern editor line' automation resolution.

I guess some ways to get smoother sounding automation are to use the LFO and filter envelope more, or use really long patterns with really high BPM, but I'd love to see either saltbearer's idea above or renoise style smooth automation in sunvox one day (mostly smooth filter cutoff sweeps are what i need). Hope that makes sense.

[edit] also, it would be cool to have the option to have an attack and decay units slider (in all envelopes), that way i could do envelopes with absolutely perfect timing (in ticks, lines etc.) .....

for example:

attack: 2 lines, decay: 4 lines...

or

attack: 3 ticks, decay : 24 ticks....

that could be kind of like really smooth automation (at tick resolution) if used in the filter envelope.
And when "envelopes for any controller" is finished having attack and decay measured in ticks or lines could be really useful.
maybe there could be a button to open a sampler envelope style envelope editor inside the controller properties window