Feature request: "Logical" numbering of patterns in timeline

lossfizzle

Feature request: "Logical" numbering of patterns in timeline

Post by lossfizzle »

One thing that keeps stopping me from getting very far actually completing songs in SunVox is the random-graphic representation of patterns in the timeline. I know the "graphic representation" is neat, but I cannot tell the patterns apart at a glance nor remember what goes where, and it's very tedious to have to draw a number or scrawl "BASS1" or something by hand on each pattern's "icon" to keep workflow organized-- especially on a laptop w/ touchpad.

Every other tracker in the world uses auto-generated representational numbers for each pattern - that I can handle way more easily.

It would be nice to have SunVox optionally auto-fill each pattern graphic with a sequential number or something, instead of the random symmetrical pixel arrangements, as a possible option in the preferences.

Alternately, just offering a "type-in" mode where I can click the pattern's graphic and just type something short, like "01" or "B-A", and have it appear via a bitmapped font on the pattern's "icon" without having to pixel-draw it in by hand on each pattern, would be nice.

Great app, NightRadio - thanks for at least humoring the further suggestion. (ps - still really looking forward to more flexible LFO patching etc - can't wait to see what you concoct for the next update!)
samrai katt kovboy

Re: Feature request: "Logical" numbering of patterns in time

Post by samrai katt kovboy »

This could work for you (or not),
Use the different layers for different instrumentation-
So what I end up doing is coloring the pattern for bass instruments black as in the layer that is black,
Rhythm instruments red for example and personally with the automation that is kept separate gets colored in the same color but with a written A on it.
When you have it set up mentally like this it is very easy
and it is also easier (for me) to just open up the different layers and know what kind of modules/sounds are there.
Plus that in the next version you are going to be able to mute/solo patterns right in the song editor.
A small thing but really useful...

I know that maybe it is only for my own foggy brain this system works but who knows?

Bring the nice days on!
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANY CIRCLES
El Nino

Re: Feature request: "Logical" numbering of patterns in time

Post by El Nino »

+1 for numbered or named patterns.

I dont use the generated graphics or draw anything, ratehr just use different colours for each instrument and make sure every separate sound is in a different track. sometimes Ill end up with 20+ tracks (one for hi-hat, another for bass drum annother for synth 1, another for sound effects etc) so I found the layers option in the module routing screen to be very useful as well. I like the sunvox timeline a lot though it is more flexible than renoise pattern matrix although that is cool too. It would be nice to have something like a cross between renoise pattern matrix and lgpt/lsdj pattern arranger for jamming with pre-written patterns, but have them record into sunvox timeline...it would be a bit like ableton clip launching. peace