Question about MetaModule

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
hseiken

Question about MetaModule

Post by hseiken »

Is there a possibility of saving controllers attached to a metamodule so that those controller preferences/settings are portable with the sunvox file itself?

I.E. if I make a meta module and set up 5 controllers for it, is there a way/can I load it into another song/project file and those 5 controllers automagically assign themselves when loaded? I worked pretty hard on a module and want to use it a little more flexibly than having a template song it rests in just to have access to the controllers. I don't mind workarounds or hacks handle this so if I"m missing something that I can do besides 'template song' that'd be best (I think sunvox is pretty good as is and judging by the feature request page, there's already plenty of stuff on the plate that I don't need to pile onto!)

Thanks for any suggestions/help/solutions!
WARNINGThis angry old nerd may rant about modern computers or computer culture! It is not directed at you 99% of the time! Ignore it if it seems silly or personal!
queries

Re: Question about MetaModule

Post by queries »

If you right click on the metamodule (or select it and use module menu in touch Environments) and then choose "Save" and save to a new filename, the metamodule and all its controller values will be written to the file you save to.
rainydayshirts

Post by rainydayshirts »

^^ This works for any module, as well. Make your changes, set your parameters, then "Save" the module's state for later use. (i.e. Filter, Generator, Distortion, Analog Generator, etc. etc.)
Jesse R. Schilling | rainydayshirts

| Bandcamp | Deviantart | Patreon |
hseiken

Post by hseiken »

Thanks. Seems the 'SAVE' in the controllers area only saves the package and not the custom controls...I don't know if that was intended or not, but it's confusing that it doesn't save the controllers. Much appreciation to you for the tip.
WARNINGThis angry old nerd may rant about modern computers or computer culture! It is not directed at you 99% of the time! Ignore it if it seems silly or personal!
queries

Post by queries »

I see what you are talking about now. It saves the project that is encapsulated by the Metamodule but not the Metamodule itself. Maybe Nightradio can change the wording of it to "save project" or something similar?
Keres

Post by Keres »

do you mean MIDI controllers?
TheMonopluralist

Post by TheMonopluralist »

For multictl modules attached to parameters of a metamodule I use a couple of techniques:
Firstly, I save all synths and effects (and metamodules of multiple modules) as metamodules with the controllers set in a "logical" order. I load this metamodule and attach multictl modules to it, and assign them to the "controllers" parameters in consecutive order. This enables me to replace any of these metamodules and enjoy the consistency of those multictl modules still being assigned to the main parameters of the metamodule by default.
Secondly, I have default projects containing an arrangement of multictls (one project for each midi controller) in which I have pre-mapped the midi controls to the multictl modules. By using the "merge" function you can choose to merge only modules from projects, and thus enable yourself to add a bank of controls into a current project, and go about connecting them to parameters.
A combination of these 2 main systems has been a useful way for me to improve my workflow in sunvox, although I can't be sure my explanations here are clear enough.
hseiken

Post by hseiken »

The last tip works best for me. I think what i'll end up doing is making my 'default'/'template' load have metamodules already loaded with the custom controls all set up and then I'll just delete/copy ones I don't want/need. Seems to work so far and it's not a big deal.

Thanks!