Question about how Sunvox performs Duty Cycle

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
Kulak

Question about how Sunvox performs Duty Cycle

Post by Kulak »

Hey folks. I'm new to DAWs and I'm currently reading Electronic Music and Sound Design to get a strong foundation going. In it they describe Duty Cycle as the ratio of time spent between positive and negative phases of a square wave. Maybe I'm just being confused by the visualizer, but at least in that representation it appears the amplitude of the negative or positive phase of the wave is being processed, not ratio of time. So what's goin on? I hope I asked that question in a way that it can be answered. Thanks. :good:
El Nino

Re: Question about how Sunvox performs Duty Cycle

Post by El Nino »

I think the diagram at the bottom of both analogue generator and generator only shows what waveform you have chosen + the lengths of the attack and decay.

It does not change the diagram of the waveform when changing amplitude (volume) or duty cycle...although you can hear the difference.

The diagram just shows what waveform has been selected and the attack, decay.

But, if you mean the visualizer on the output module, then it does show both duty cycle and amplitude...as you adjust the duty cycle or volume sliders you can see the changes.
Last edited by El Nino on Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koekepan

Post by Koekepan »

Mind you, it would be really great if we could use Duty Cycle to modulate other waveforms than just square in sunvox.

Crazy pad-lovers like myself would swoon worldwide.
El Nino

Post by El Nino »

Morphing waveforms would be cool like, a sine morphing into a square, or a triangle morphing into a saw....
Kulak

Post by Kulak »

I meant the visualizer in the module routing window, not under the controllers.

Also that would be cool.
iaon

Post by iaon »

Pulse-sine, the last waveform in the Generator module, also responds to DC changes.
El Nino

Post by El Nino »

Thanks for the tip about pulse-sine. I had no idea about that. it sounds great
hseiken

Post by hseiken »

El Nino wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:46 am Thanks for the tip about pulse-sine. I had no idea about that. it sounds great
I wish this would get implemented into the analog generator. It's got unique characteristics and was featured on several classic analog synths.
WARNINGThis angry old nerd may rant about modern computers or computer culture! It is not directed at you 99% of the time! Ignore it if it seems silly or personal!