Noise Gate

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
Jaquy

Noise Gate

Post by Jaquy »

Hello. I'm new here.
First, thanks to developer for this poweful tiny piece of software. Also, thanks to the people making video tutorials, expecially Pavel Ti.

I wanted to filter out the white noise from my cheap mic when I'm not talking, throught SunVox. Since there's not a Noise Gate module (yet, please do it!), I decided to try to make one by myself with the existing modules.
Basically a Noise Gate works like an inverted Compressor: when the sound signal is BELOW a threshold, it turns down the volume.
First I made a white noise generator. Then I put my main signal through a Compressor, and I sidechained it with another Compressor, turned on by white noise, sidechained with my boosted sound signal. So when the volume is low, the white noise turns on the main Compressor and no sound goes out. When the volume is high, the boosted sound signal compresses the white noise and so it turns off the main compressor, and a bit of sound passes through.

Sorry if my explaination is not clear! I'll upload the filter here, so you can have a look at it. Let me know if you find this useful.
Any feedback is appreciated.

Jaquy

Edit:
I made an improvement using a Waveshaper inverting the signal as the trigger for the Compressor using the natural white noise to be filtered instead of the white noise generator + compressor.
Plus I made another one just using the Waveshaper that filters out all the white noise, but at the cost of a big loss of sound quality.
Attachments
NoiseGate3.sunsynth
(3.71 KiB) Downloaded 316 times
NoiseGate2.sunsynth
(6.59 KiB) Downloaded 293 times
NoiseGate.sunsynth
(7.02 KiB) Downloaded 304 times
Elfferich

Re: Noise Gate

Post by Elfferich »

I suggest using an amplifier with dc offsetting. This is more accurate and less cpu consuming. Also, Gilzad has made a noise gate. Check it out to know how his one works.