What would you prefer...?

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
El Nino

What would you prefer...?

Post by El Nino »

1.) For sunvox to be a VST host to run Redux in...

or

2.) For sunvox to get midi sync stop-start functionality to run alongside Renoise...

or

3.) For Sunvox to have the capability of running as a VST to run in sync inside Renoise?

I'm wishing for any of the above because I think Sunvox and Renoise/Redux would work together so nicely.
Koekepan

Re: What would you prefer...?

Post by Koekepan »

MIDI stop/start.

Easy choice, in fact.

Sunvox does not need the complexities of VST anywhere near it; it needs to stay light and fast and self-contained.

Inasmuch as talking to the rest of the world is concerned, MIDI (and maybe in the future OSC, if HD MIDI doesn't come out before 2037) is an adequate, efficient solution with some function already baked into sunvox.
queries

Post by queries »

I think NightRadio has shown interest in creating a VST (plugin) version of SunVox. There's no timetable announced for that yet.

It will probably never be a VST host, because that would break cross-platform file format compatibility.

The SunVox DLL is available at no cost and usable in any project (even commercial) with attribution, so it's possible for an aspiring C++ developer to build a VST plugin for it. (This would allow for note in -> audio out capability to run synths, but the DLL does not yet allow audio processing via sending your own data through Input module.)

I've thought about doing so myself, but am too busy with other things... and out of practice with C++. Maybe I will find a way to practice soon. Or maybe someone else here will pick up the idea and run with it! :)
queries

Post by queries »

SunVox 1.9.2 responds to MIDI transport events: https://youtu.be/CMebLgDd-Uo?t=1m16s
El Nino

Post by El Nino »

This is going to be awesome, I cant believe I missed that part of the 1.9.2 update...

I love the way Sunvox is light and self contained as well, "in the box". no need to read new manuals or spend hardware-like money on third party synths and effects. Hopefully, I'll get this all working tonight..maybe loopMidi, maybe rewire...such a noob when it comes to midi.
TheBlu30ne

Post by TheBlu30ne »

Koekepan wrote:MIDI stop/start.

Easy choice, in fact.

Sunvox does not need the complexities of VST anywhere near it; it needs to stay light and fast and self-contained.

Inasmuch as talking to the rest of the world is concerned, MIDI (and maybe in the future OSC, if HD MIDI doesn't come out before 2037) is an adequate, efficient solution with some function already baked into sunvox.
I completely agree with that. Why would you need for example an external VST multiband compressor while you could make your own ones?
El Nino

Post by El Nino »

I think sunvox could work nice as a vst. Just sunvox as it is now but with the capability to load up as a VSTi in another DAW and automatically be synchronized to the DAWs BPM without having to worry about midi stuff.

Ive seen some VSTi's which contain a sequencer of their own and sync up nicely in that way (phoscyon, its decent, a TB-303 bass)...

@TheBlu3One:
TheBlu3One wrote:Why would you need for example an external VST multiband compressor while you could make your own ones?
While I totally agree that its better to understand how to build a multiband compressor from scratch (as for me, I dont know how), sometimes having a professionally constructed one available as a VST is a real time saver, often those kind of VST effects can be free to download as well.

Its like sayng to a guitarist 'why would you use a store-bought effects pedal when you could learn electronics and build your own?'
leondustar

Post by leondustar »

I would like to see pixilang support in sunvox, in the form of a scriptable node.
The node could act as effect, generator or (midi)-controller.

REASON: stability / crossplatform / infinite-possibilities. So many of the requests in this thread could be solved by scripting a pixi-node. People then can share sunvox-patches which go beyond the usual plugins.

There's just so many opensource effect/synth code out there (jesusonic/faust/lua etc) which could be ported/transpiled, so
Instead of aiming for the herculean mission to support architecture-specific pluginformats like VST/AU: pixilang could function as a stable basis for this.
In the end its all about the DSP/logic-code which runs inside plugins..these days VST-plugins are just wrappers for dsp-code with an operatingsystem-size GUI slapped on top of it.

@nightradio do you feel the upside of this approach compared to architecturespecific plugin-formats?
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

leondustar,
i never planned to add the VST support inside the SunVox, because...
I plan to make the VST-version of SunVox for inclusion in other DAWs.
As for the Pixilang, its support will be added sooner or later. Pixilang modules/scripts are still not added due to the following reasons:
1) lack of free time, as usual :)
2) i still have not decided in what form i can use the Pixilang in the SunVox, because there are some restrictions on the use of downloadable code inside the iOS apps.
gennargiu

Post by gennargiu »

insert a new module synths and effects or similar uses plogue bidule,ciao

gennaro
Hp Elite 8200 Sff + Raspberry pi4 (4 giga ram) - Sunvox 1.9.5 - Mx Linux 19 (Debian Buster based) + Raspbian Buster
leondustar

Post by leondustar »

afaik pixilang will fine as long as scripting functionality is not binded directly with permissions like calling, sms, payment etc. For example there are puredata & csound ios apps which load csound/pd-patchfiles and there's mobmuplat which kinda is pixilang for pd. Embedding pixilang subset into sunvox, which exposes midi/audio functionality will be fine.
El Nino

Post by El Nino »

NightRadio wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:10 pm i never planned to add the VST support inside the SunVox, because...
I plan to make the VST-version of SunVox for inclusion in other DAWs.
This is great news!

Sunvox running as a VST with timing synchronized to Renoise will be the ultimate combination of all time.

Renoise for the chopped breaks and the bass + sampled VSTi ( plugin grabber ), sunvox for the chords, pads, leads and FX.