Question about the FM synth?

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
squidmissile

Question about the FM synth?

Post by squidmissile »

Does anyone else here just so happen to pull out the FM synth module on (almost) every track they make? I just recently realized that I do this. Like, all my patches have at least 2 FM synths on them. And nowadays the ones that dont usually end up with a 2 or 3 operator setup using the modulator effect module. I just really like that FM sound.

Anyways does anyone else here wish we had finer control over the carrier and modulator frequency ratios? Or am I the only who thinks dialing in a ratio of like.. 1:2.5 would be cool?

I've tried inputting the controller values for both carrier and modulator waveforms without much luck. SunVox seems to round my values to the nearest whole number (1, 2, 3, etc).

I've tried this using the whole phase distortion setup thing with a few multisynths too. But using a multisynth in an alternative setup doesn't change the frequency ratio on the fly like you can do in the FM synth. Am I going about this the wrong way? Should I be using a carefully tuned pitchshifter instead of the multisynth? Or am I just missing something, like a page out the manual I really should have read?
SawZer

Re: Question about the FM synth?

Post by SawZer »

Use the "Phase" mode of the Modulator module.
The order you connect modules to the Modulator matters. Carrier first, then modulator.
squidmissile

Post by squidmissile »

ChippyMunk wrote:Use the "Phase" mode of the Modulator module.
I have that part down already. What I am talking about is
modulating the frequency ratio of the carrier or modulator waveforms of the sound. This can be done with the simple FM module (FM synth > OUT) by inputting controller values into a pattern. But you can't input a controller value between 1 and 2 (hex values 800 and 1000).

Using several multisynths (because synth tunings can only be changed via the module properties pane), analog generators and a modulator module (multisynths > generators > modulator > OUT),ou should be able to do the same. My problem in achieving this goal was due to the multisynth not sending controller value events for the transpose controller in time. I had to wait for the next note event to trigger to hear a change in the sound sound.

I have found a solution to my problem, however it is not an ideal solution. Instead of waiting for the next note event of a multisynth to trigger a change sent from the transpose controller, I ended up working around this by forcing a note event to trigger such a change. For a rapid sequence of notes flying by this works fine. But in cases where all the notes are the same or a pad or drone type sound is being used this isn't really ideal. You basicly end up resetting the sound which can reset envelopes (if you're going for a monophonic sound) or cause clicking. Making the FM synth more ideal for this kind of thing.

I've uploaded an example of what I'm talking about.
Attachments
ModdingModulators.sunvox
(13.58 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
iaon

Post by iaon »

How about the Pitch controller on the Glide module (max rate & response)? => No need for a new note.
Perhaps driven by Pitch2Ctl (in pitch mode). Alternatively, MultiCtl's Quantization can divvy up the Pitch controller's range to get the desired ratio.
squidmissile

Post by squidmissile »

The glide module seems to be just what I was looking for. Can't believe I never thought of using it for this before. Thanks loads for the help guys! :D