Reference for "SP" (set pitch) - table of notes and SP values

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
queries

Reference for "SP" (set pitch) - table of notes and SP values

Post by queries »

[Edited]

The Complete Guide to SunVox now has an appendix that might be helpful for those using (or learning about) the "SP - Set Pitch" special note, which can be used for composing microtonal music. It's also what the touch theremin writes to a pattern when recording.

The tables show the relationship between notes and the corresponding XXYY values you'd enter when using the SP special note.

https://sunvox-guide.readthedocs.io/en/ ... ables.html

There's only one table at the moment, but the plan is to add additional tables over time to cover alternative tunings.

(Many thanks to iaon for pointing me to the original forum thread discussing this!)
Last edited by queries on Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
iaon

Re: Reference for "SP" (set pitch) - table of notes, frequencies, and periods

Post by iaon »

Wait, isn't this in conflict with NightRadio's simpler table in this thread?
queries

Re: Reference for "SP" (set pitch) - table of notes, frequencies, and periods

Post by queries »

Hmm... I wasn't aware of that thread. Thank you for pointing this out! (The scattered nature of forum threads is one of the reasons I started the sunvox-guide project, to help organize all this stuff for those of us who haven't been using SunVox for years :) )

I'll correct and simplify the table later today and republish.

It will contain the same information, but at the very least it will also have the full C0-B9 note range. I'll also include the Bohlen-Pierce scale chart that ahornberg posted (giving credit of course!).

(Background: The table I created was auto-generated by having a script play each note, using pitch2ctl to translate the note into Hz, then using FilterPro to read the Hz... then it does the same thing for all possible values for SP, and where it found a matching Hz between a note and SP, that went into the table. But now that I've compared a few notes, they are indeed a little off... not sure why that is just yet, but again, thanks for the heads up iaon!!!)
gigi

Re: Reference for "SP" (set pitch) - table of notes and SP values

Post by gigi »

if you rebuild the table, please upgrade the notation of notes too, because in sunvox small letters are upper big ones

it seems that you did the inverse

so, that's why there should be no "e", because it is equal to "F"

am I right ?
queries

Post by queries »

Peer review to the rescue!

Yes, gigi you're correct so I'll update that in the chart.

I'll also update it in the code that generates the chart. It stems from a coding mistake I made earlier this year, where I incorrectly treated lowercase notes as flats, instead of as sharps.

So I was incorrectly noting e5 as "e flat", when it should actually be d5 for "d sharp".
queries

Post by queries »

The page has been corrected. Thanks again gigi!