Mobile device for SunVox?

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
spktkpkt

Mobile device for SunVox?

Post by spktkpkt »

Hi folks,

i'm looking for a mobile device to use with SunVox only. It should:
  • have decent performance to create/play more complex songs. Not like a workstation with a i7 or something, but it shouldn't start to glitch as soon i load more than three effects.
  • have some sort of storage to save songs and some (or more) samples.
  • be possible to transfer files between the device and another PC (USB or Wifi or...)
  • be small, like a smartphone.
  • have a headphone jack. Microphone would be nice, but that's optional.
  • be as cheap as possible in price.
Maybe something like a Motorola Droid 5? It doesn't have to be Android, i don't care about the OS as long SunVox runs smoothly and i'm able to transfer the files. Any suggestions? Thank you.
Koekepan

Re: Mobile device for SunVox?

Post by Koekepan »

I would check out the current market in android phones, and see whether you can find something like a wifi-only equivalent device, similar to an iPod Touch. Ideally, wifi as well as SDcard storage or a USB stick.

If you can't get anything decent in that form factor, consider a small (7-inch or smaller) tablet.

Sunvox is so efficient that any modern multi-core ARM should do a pretty good job for you. If you get something like the Samsung 7" Galaxy WiFi E Lite (or whatever they're calling it now) it's about $120, brand new, with a quad core CPU that will take quite a beating, and also expandable storage. As small as a celphone? Not quite, but not bad either. You could slip it into a backpack, fanny pack, jacket pocket - it's pretty flexible.

And what the hell, it has a 3.5mm audio jack, so you can use your in-ear monitors with it.
spktkpkt

Post by spktkpkt »

Thank you for the suggestion. I missed one big point in the "wish list" (thought i listed it). It should have a physical keyboard, which makes it so difficult to find a useful device. I already use my smartphone with SunVox, which runs fine but to use a touch screen only is horrible. It may be possible to use a bluetooth keyboard, but this is not very practical for me. I would like to have a device which i could hold/operate in my hands, that's why a small form factor and a physical keyboard would be so nice.
squidmissile

Post by squidmissile »

Replace that keyboard with midi functionality on android and you would have my wish list exactly. But for what you're looking for I think it might be worth it to look into getting a pocketC.H.I.P. It comes with SunVox (and a few other applications) already installed and is sort cheap at 70 usd.

Should cover just about everything except for the mic. Luckily that's optional.
spktkpkt

Post by spktkpkt »

Nice suggestion, i'll check that out when it's ready. There is also another interesting device, the GPD Win Laptop/Gaming Console, but it has two flaws...1st the operating system and 2nd the price.
spktkpkt

Post by spktkpkt »

Found a LG Optimus F3Q on eBay, hopefully it will do a good job.
El Nino

Post by El Nino »

I'm quite interested to know how your keyboard based tracking goes on such a small device, any chance you could post a small review of your sunvox experience on that phone once youve checked it out? like do all the keyboard shortcuts work and stuff like that...
spktkpkt

Post by spktkpkt »

Me too. Sure. I guess i can post my first impressions at the end of next week if the device will arrive soon enough.

I hope to get rid of all useless stuff on the phone and to set it up as some kind of a "tracker for the pocket". Would be nice to have it boot up directly into SunVox. I'll see how it works out and let you know.
El Nino

Post by El Nino »

awesome..thanks dude
spktkpkt

Post by spktkpkt »

Sorry for the delayed reply, but the delivery took a bit longer and i had to open the device to clean it up (there was a lot dirt in the headphone jack). I still need to configure some shortcuts but overall it is set up. I have "rooted" the device, removed some unnecessary stuff and replaced the launcher. I have to say it works very nice and the physical keyboard is a big plus. The sound and performance are very good and enough to use the device on the go. The screen is small, as you may already know if you have read the specs of the device, but it is much more comfortable to work with as i thought (i have set the scale option to the native resolution of 233ppi and the scale to 204). Here are my Pros and Cons in short:

Pros:
  • form factor - small and handy
  • performance - enough to get ideas done on-the-go
  • physical keyboard - working shortcuts, the "fn" key is recognized by SunVox as "ALT" key
  • display - not the biggest but still usable
Cons:
  • ugly t-mobile branding
  • color of the keyboard
As you can see, the cons are only personal taste. Regarded to the technical aspects, the device works (for me) very well and does a great job on-the-go.
Last edited by spktkpkt on Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
teamoth

Post by teamoth »

Thanks for the review. I'm always interested in mobile devices with proper keyboards for Sunvox usage. When you're making music on the bus I find that a physical keyboard works so much better. I might keep an eye out for something similar.
spktkpkt

Post by spktkpkt »

Yes, i use it mainly on the train, works very well. It's much faster to put the notes and commands in.
El Nino

Post by El Nino »

Hey thanks for the awesome review of this device.

How did you get around the following shortcuts?

TAB - go to the next track
SHIFT TAB - go to the previous track
F9 -play/stop
F10 - play from beginning
F11 - play pattern
F12 - stop

all the shortcuts which involve CTRL (undo, redo, cut, copy, paste, select all, select track, duplicate/clone, interpolate values, interpolate velocity, create a new module / new pattern)

If you have a way to do all of those I think I'll probably buy it.

Here are the specs if anyone is interested:

LG Optimus F3Q

OS Android OS, v4.1.2 (Jelly Bean)
CPU Dual-core 1.2 GHz Krait
Card slot microSD, up to 32 GB (dedicated slot)
Internal 4 GB, 1 GB RAM
spktkpkt

Post by spktkpkt »

I use a combination of the arrow keys and the "fn" key for jump navigation (fn + up = begin of timeline...etc.). The default actions like copy, paste..are working like on a regular keyboard (fn + c = copy for example). There are no "F1..." keys, but you can combine the "fn" and "shift" key. To sum it up, you have the "fn" key, which behaves like "ALT" in SunVox or "CTRL" with standard keys like C, P, V... and the shift key. The shortcuts are maybe not exactly the same as on a regular keyboard, but you can map them in SunVox how you like. There are enough combination possibilities to make it possible to use most (maybe all) of the shortcuts.
princessdan

Post by princessdan »

How mobile? Pi 3 B runs sunvox easily. USB midi works seamlessly, wifi and Bluetooth already in it. Lots of different touchscreens available, or use a TV as a monitor. Decent mobile power supplies for it will be soon in coming.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/222250057705?_trk ... mwBanner=1

Link to a relevant eBay product for beginning of comparison pricing. Not an endorsement.