'Standard' Arpeggiator?

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
ForestCat

'Standard' Arpeggiator?

Post by ForestCat »

When using SunVox as a sound module, ie via MIDI, is there any way to mimic a simple arpeggiator?

I'm talking about a function that 'scans' the currently held keys and plays them back at a MIDI-clock synced note value ( 1/4, 1/16, etc) in some predetermined (or random) order, optionally adding notes in octaves above or below the held notes.

Anyone done this?

Thanks.
queries

Re: 'Standard' Arpeggiator?

Post by queries »

This is an interesting question. Have you looked at how "metamodules" can be used as simple arpeggiators?

You can set up a sequence of notes, effects, etc. in a metamodule that you can trigger from a single base note.

However I don't yet know of a way inside SunVox to do a more dynamic arpeggiator like you describe, where a single sequence is defined and driven by more than one simultaneous input note.
ForestCat

Post by ForestCat »

Thanks. I did see that, but like you said, this is more of 'sequencer', in which the pitch offset of pre-programmed notes is specified by some input param, i.e. Note #. I need to specify my "note pool" on the fly.

I've been struggling to find this basic functionality in an ios app that also supports MIDI Clock Sync. Unfortunately, the few apps that have this seem to have the keyboard hold function married to the arp function, i.e., Magellan. The only way to turn off the kb hold is through the app's ui. No good for me, since I control everything through MIDI via Lemur, so my synth needs to run in the 'background'.

I've been trying to find a way to avoid bringing a laptop and h/w synths to the kinds of multi-artist showcase gigs where minutes count in setup/breakdown. My experience so far is that in spite of all the hype to the contrary, IOS is still years behind VSTi/Ableton/Max/Bidule/etc. in terms of MIDI/OSC interop/implementation. Most people don't know/care, but for the ones like me that do, it's a dealbreaker...
queries

Post by queries »

I'm still very new to making my own Lemur projects, but have embarked down that road nevertheless... I wonder, is it possible that the Lemur scripting engine is powerful enough to implement the arpeggiator and clock sync internally, and then just send MIDI notes to SunVox?

I realize there is still the issue of syncing with SunVox for things like LFOs - See "MIDI sync" on the TODO list at viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1046
fycfung

Post by fycfung »

I finally figured out a way to do something somewhat like this last week (and I have been wanting to do this forever and ever). This requires MetaModule, MultiSynth, and Pitch2Ctl. The key is that you put your generator in MetaModule, and then you attach 3 MultiSynths to the generator (or more....1 for each distinct note in the arpeggio). The trick is that each MultiSynth can be transposed separately. Then you write out your pattern, with each separate note in the arpeggio as a C5 on a different MultiSynth.

Now expose the Transpose controls for each of the MultiSynths as controllers of the MetaModule. Set the MM to play patterns, and set the input module to some high number outside the range of the modules in it (so it doesn't play a note when receiving an event, just its pattern).

Now, outside the MetaModule, attach one Pitch2Ctl for each MultiSynth to the MetaModule. Set the Pitch2Ctl to the same parameters as in the Pitch2Ctl arpeggiator example (use pitch, not freq, set the initial note to 128, the range to 120 semitones, and the min and max to 68-188, if I recall).

Then, to trigger the arpeggio, you set the three note events to the 3 Pitch2Ctls, and another C5 to the MetaModule directly, to instigate the pattern. Each Pitch2Ctl takes in a note, converts it into a value which is its different in pitch from C5, and then transposes the MultiSynth by that much (so it plays that voice of the pattern in that pitch).

You want something slightly different, which is to have 3 notes from one input set the three note values of the arpeggio. Not sure yet how to get get there from what I described above.