MIDI Multitimbrality

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
ForestCat

MIDI Multitimbrality

Post by ForestCat »

I just purchased SunVox based on the videos, which are amazing.

SunVox appears to be massively multitimbral internally, so the basic capability is already there. Is there currently any way to access different generators, etc. on different MIDI channels? If not, will this be implemented soon?

When it is, SunVox will fill a massive void in the ios music world: A universal, CPU-efficient (as in iPhone 5s) multitimbral 'real' synth, i.e. not a rompler.

There are quite a few MIDI guitarists out there begging for such an app...
queries

Re: MIDI Multitimbrality

Post by queries »

I'm not the one to do it (yet), as I'm not as immersed in mobile development as in other forms... :-) but one interesting thing to keep in mind is that any developer is free to create an iOS or Android app that uses the SunVox library internally, but that does something else with interfaces.

For example, one idea would be to have some interface to load several sunsynth files as patches that are mapped to different MIDI channels as you suggest, with some standard MIDI CC mapping already in place for the sunsynth's module controllers.

Then you could design the sound using the SunVox interface, but have a more performance-oriented MIDI interface capable of generating the exact same sound.

I know this isn't exactly available now, but I'm going to personally keep looking for ways to help build the SunVox third party tool developer community so we can make things like this a reality in the future. :-)
Koekepan

Post by Koekepan »

Obviously I cannot speak for NightRadio, but this is a requested feature, and he has hinted that it is near the head of his personal list.

So I'm guessing that it is coming, I just could not tell you which version will have it.

I know that I would welcome such a development. I can even see, in my mind's eye, a MIDI-driven band all playing through one sunvox installation, and recording their inputs in one take, then editing it afterwards to get rid of flubs.

Even if iOS doesn't get this feature, it would still be massive on the PC front.
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Thank you for using the SunVox!
This feature will be implemented soon.

From the SunVox FAQ http://www.warmplace.ru/wiki/sunvox:man ... stions_faq :

Q: How to split MIDI notes by channels, and send the notes from different channels to different modules?
A: Right now (SunVox 1.9.1) there is no direct way to do it. But it will be implemented in future updates. Now you can split your MIDI notes by the octaves (or some another pitch regions). Check the example: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2922#p9702
ForestCat

Post by ForestCat »

How soon is soon? ;-) KB splits are not an option for me. Using MIDI guitar, one channel per string, too much note overlap between strings to use splits for multitimbrality
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

I'm still looking for the most beautiful way to implement it in the SunVox. If you have some ideas - please post it here
ForestCat

Post by ForestCat »

First thing that comes to mind is to extend the current MIDI implementation.

Right now, you basically have a global channel, and data on that channel (i.e. Note On/off, CC, ProgChg, ) which is recognized by various Sunvox modules/components. What about simply adding another 'layer' above that to include channel? Any MIDI controllable param would have a dialog specifying the MIDI datatype and channel that that param would 'listen' for. Is that something that could be implemented without a ton of work?
ForestCat

Post by ForestCat »

I see in Prefs that you have 4 MIDI 'Controllers' (sources/inputs). Each has a selectable channel. What about adding a parameter in the Generator's edit/parameter panel or Properties dialog to select a Controller(s)?
Example: iPad w/ iRig MIDI h/w MIDI interface.

in MIDI Prefs:
Controller 1- iRig, Ch1
Controller 2- iRig, Ch2
Controller 3- iRig, Ch3
Controller 4- iRig, Ch4

So in this case, you could have 4-part multitimbral.
Ideally, we'd like more parts ;-), but even 4 would be HUGE!!
I could not find a way to assign input MIDI CC to control Sunvox parameters. This is a very important feature to anyone who would want to use Sunvox multitimbrally through MIDI.
Koekepan

Post by Koekepan »

MIDI CC is accessible through the detail interface for each parameter.

On a desktop, if you right-click a parameter (might be double-tap on a touch interface) it opens the controller properties window, in which you can assign a controller directly, or use MIDI learn to assign a controller to the parameter. You can also adjust the curve of the assignment and clear the assignment.

I don't imagine that allowing for a MIDI channel in this would be a big deal.
ForestCat

Post by ForestCat »

Fantastic! If you want any more beta testers, count me in.
Koekepan

Post by Koekepan »

I think that an additional parameter in module properties might be the way to go.

By default, it's in Auto mode - accepting global MIDI note data when highlighted, otherwise ignoring it.

Other options include: Global mode, accepting note data all the time on all channels, and individual channel selections so that various modules can get note data on various channels.

None of this would affect parameter mappings.
ForestCat

Post by ForestCat »

Yep. I had a thought, perhaps a new "MIDI" module, whose parameters include input interface/channel, and perhaps filters, controller-remapping, etc. The module's output could be connected to any other module's input where you'd want to use MIDI as a control/modulation source. Lots of flexibility, in that one MIDI module could feed many generators, effect params, etc. Would probably not effect cpu usage much, if at all. Of course, that'd be a little more work to implement ;-)
editech

Post by editech »

I have got around this on my Raspberry PI but launching multiple instances of Sunvox and setting each instance on a different incoming MIDI Channel.

J
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

yup, simply adding the MIDI IN setting to the Module Properties could work well.

May I also suggest adding a handy MIDI channel selector to the Onscreen Keyboard as well,. this could fix an issue I have when Live Playing in the program, if you have a Multi-synth running and you need to change a Parameter on one Part of it, when you click on that Synth, you loose control of the Multi and only get the Selected Synth. (would still lov a Lock-Keyboard switch onscreen for same situation,. next to octave up/down? )
offthesky

Post by offthesky »

as i am working to prepare an 'earth friendly' sunvox project for a 4+hour live ambient performance using only my iphone and 1 arturia keylab 61(which surprisingly is powered by an iphone 5), having this functionality would be amazing. because i'm playing for so long, battery power is needed so keeping the screen turned off; not having to manually select modules - is crucial.

i notice there's a midi out in the module properties panel, maybe a midi in option could go right below that? i think allowing a module to be selected via a program change would also be super useful (128 module selection options per midi channel per device at that point).

for example in the modules properties: you set the midi in device, then set the midi in channel, then set the midi in program change # - when that program change is selected on the midi keyboard, it picks that module which can then be played on the keyboard. this would really open up sunvox for endless live performance instrument possibilities. :)