SunVox powered Raspberry Pi 2 synthesizer

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
sarah_hankins

Re: SunVox powered Raspberry Pi 2 synthesizer

Post by sarah_hankins »

cube48

Post by cube48 »

sarah_hankins wrote:Holy crap it's gorgeous. Congratulations! Did you keep the front panel locking situation, so that you can use it up at an angle, classic analog synth style? Also, if I may ask, what have you mapped your pots to?
Thanks. Yes, the panel actually has to be tilted when in use (I've added more pics to the gallery showing exactly this). The HDMI cable doesn't allow the top panel being fully closed. Hope to get better 90° adapter so I can close it when it's not being used. Right now I'm just supporting it with a small wooden plank.
Pot's are mapped to whatever is needed. I'll definitely try to create something like traditional subtractive synth patch with appropriate knob mapping.
transient wrote:Wow wow wow! That is looking absolutely gorgeous! Congrats on the fantastic build!
Thank you sir. It's an honor to read this from my musical hero :)
cube48

Post by cube48 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRfP_w4xWms

Little sound demo. Audio was recorded straight to the PC. No further signal processing.
ernesto_bur

Post by ernesto_bur »

I dont know how to open sunvox or sunvox_lofi files in my raspberry, where is the documentation for execute the application?

I tryed to open by console and i tryed to open by raspbian gui (start x)

Please Help ME!!!!!
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Download the SunVox archive from the site: http://warmplace.ru/soft/sunvox/sunvox-1.9b.zip
Unpack it on Raspberry to any folder.
Then go to the unpacked directory -> sunvox/sunvox/raspberry_pi/ -> and double click on sunvox
loolo78

Post by loolo78 »

This is gorgeous! Holy crap. A true DIY hacker.
Hartger

Post by Hartger »

Great project! I might have a try at building my own.

Any specific reason you went for that screen? Also, do I understand right that the potmeters are basicly a deconstructed midi-controller? I have an old nanokontrol, do you think that might be useable in the same way?
cube48

Post by cube48 »

The screen was the best one available for the concept at that time. Small and with easy connection. Power and data via one USB cable.

Now I'm building another variation of RPi audio/MIDI workstation but using much better, bigger and cheaper official Raspbery 7" touchscreen with even better connection (DSI ribbon cable) - no USB slot expended. Also the capacitive touch technology feels better for finger control.

Yes, pots are striped UC16 to the bare functional boards. I don't see a reason why nanoKontrol wouldn't work. Critical thing is to find the way to mount it into your custom case.

I'm still writting down the stuff about the MoonBox build, time is an issue with other creative projects in the run but hope to get it finished by the end of this year.

Looking forward to see your project!
Hartger

Post by Hartger »

I went for a 7" touchscreen myself. Not the official one though because it wasn't available anywhere. I'm hoping to receive my parts this week so I can start working on the enclosure over the christmas weekend.

I noticed you don't use a powered usb-hub. What kind of power supply do you use?
cube48

Post by cube48 »

5V 2000 mA with microUSB connector. If you plan to connect some hungrier USB peripherals you can go even higher with mA value. If the RPi doesn't get enough juice, it'll show a rainbow square in the top right corner of the display. In worse case it will keep disconnecting your peripherals and in the worst case your RPi will restart (or keep restarting until you disconnect something).

Have fun with the build!
Hartger

Post by Hartger »

Thanks!

I'm sorry for bothering you with so many questions but I'm having some issues with the pi-dac. I'm hearing a popping noise when sound stops (this is very audible on a short bass sound, like Bass 1 in the template project of sunvox). I'm running the IQaudio rasbian image. I've tried different buffer sizes but that does not seem to make a difference. Have you had any similar experiences with the pi-dac+?
cube48

Post by cube48 »

Actually yes and it seems to be more of a SunVox issue. If you set your module visualizer to points you can watch the short noise burst at the end of every sound fade out, so it's part of the signal generated already in SunVox. My feeling is that it's the optimization for limited RPi CPU ... sort of raw fade out aliasing. Maybe Alex can chime in and shed light on this.
I'm not sure if we could work it around with some 'noise gate' within SunVox. I'll try to figure something out involving compressor, sidechaining and snd2ctl but it seems to be the issue of whole RPi version of SunVox.

In the meanwhile, here is the picture of the new box running SunVox. The latest IQAudio Raspbian runs SunVox smoothly with JACK and 8ms latency after some optimizations and overclocking.

Click the image to see more pictures. I'll add more build snapshots in next days/weeks.

gardnsound

Post by gardnsound »

Hey cube48,

I've been struggling with getting my install of Raspbian to play nicely with Sunvox when opening it from boot. What did you do to enable it to load on boot?

I put this line in my rc.local file:

Code: Select all

sudo /home/pi/sunvox/sunvox/sunvox_lofi
And, it just gives me a green bar at the top of the screen when it boots.

How did you accomplish that?
ZipSnipe

Post by ZipSnipe »

Very nice Cube48, you inspired me for my Looper/sampler project