Perfect piano?

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
Zanomite

Re: Perfect piano?

Post by Zanomite »

This is a bit of a grungy piano, but here's one I use. It has a new sample per each C note and F#.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9ata_- ... sp=sharing
gilzad

Post by gilzad »

Darkhog wrote:You are on something. Care to share .sunvox file, so I could try to help?
Hey, sorry for the late response on this. I can share what I have so far but it's not optimized and maxes out a quadcore sandy i7 at 2 GHz easily. Not what you need I guess. But a reduced, CPU-friendlier version can be obtained from the source file of my current release.
jsmars

Post by jsmars »

I realize I'm resurrecting a very old thread here. But does anyone happen to have the fazioli-demo.sunvox [134MB] file mentioned in the link above that is now dead? I'd really like to have it! Please post a link to a more permanent location for future searchers like myself, maybe use dropbox? Thanks!
iaon

Post by iaon »

Here you go. Not permanent though.
TheBlu30ne

Post by TheBlu30ne »

Maybe a little late, but you could loop an actual piano sample and recreate the harmonics with the spectravoice. You won't get the transient of a piano but it will give you an idea on how and why it sounds like a piano. I'd recommend using an external spectrum analyzer since current sunvox one isn't really accurate.
The Handle

Post by The Handle »

If you're looking for something straight from sunvox, the FM (or phase modulation) is your best bet. I actually attempted to create a piano synth from scratch with the FM at one point, and got pretty close. Unfortunately, it just doesn't compare with the real thing.

Fortunately tho, my parents own an acoustic piano, and I might be able to get some samples from it. I will look into this.
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Not the perfect piano still, but it's much better than the same module in SunVox 1.9.2 due to the new Sampler features.
Coming soon...
mrev

Post by mrev »

Sounds amazing! So psyched
SolarLune

Post by SolarLune »

Cool, it sounds good, yeah. It sounds like there's a filter being applied according to the note pitch, maybe? Is it tweakable, or just on/off?
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

It sounds like there's a filter being applied according to the note pitch
...according to the note velocity :) + filter envelope and something else. You will see it soon. 1.9.3 beta is almost done.
SolarLune

Post by SolarLune »

Oh maaaaaan, I can't wait, haha.
kleptolia

Post by kleptolia »

I sampled a friends piano at a one sample per note ratio. It’s not perfect, but it sounds pretty good. I don’t know how to export Sampler instruments with samples.

If someone tells me how, I can try to put it up somewhere for download.
Keres

Post by Keres »

hseiken

Post by hseiken »

Also, another aspect of making an accoustic piano sound convincing is the physical modelling of the piano itself by which the strings vibrate inside...it's not just the strings, it's the entire machine, just like a guitar is not the strings itself, it's the guitar's ability to resonate the tones.

I'm not sure what the advantage would be to do this since most people can't tell the difference between a real piano and sampled one, if the samples are good enough and cover enough velocity ranges and have a few variations of the velocity, but that's getting into gigabytes of samples and..for what?

To have a make-believe piano? And likewise simulating one accurately with physical modelling of the piano itself and accoustics would be a processing overload with current hardware...and...again, for a make-believe piano? Just stick with what's already available and play expressively. No one cares about whether it's a real piano or not when listening, the melody and expressiveness of your sequencing/playing is important. It's why ePianos sound like magic in the hands of a musician and like crap when a child bangs on it...the machine doesn't make the music.
WARNINGThis angry old nerd may rant about modern computers or computer culture! It is not directed at you 99% of the time! Ignore it if it seems silly or personal!