Perfect piano?

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
CoByX

Re: Perfect piano?

Post by CoByX »

jcage wrote:Being a sampler freak I created a 4-layered stereo piano as metamodule. 134MB... to big? Not for what it sounds like. Fazioli grand piano, sampled by folks who know their business, provided by palmitos some time ago. Took me some time to translate..
It would be great if you'd share it.
Last edited by CoByX on Mon May 20, 2013 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
GreaseMonkey

Post by GreaseMonkey »

You can currently hack up a pseudo-Karplus-Strong thing with a Flanger module (set the LFO power to 0 though!) and screwing with the Delay parameter, although you can't really do a loopback filter, so it's better for guitars rather than pianos.

Generator (noise, no attack, sustain off, VERY short decay) -> Filter -> Amplifier -> Flanger -> Filter -> Anticlick Filter (DC Blocker might work, if not, just do an e.g. 20Hz high-pass filter) -> Out.

If you have something that can open .it modules (e.g. SchismTracker - it's a very common module format), I used SunVox to synthesise some samples, and used this method to get a (mildly disappointing) set of piano samples: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/320 ... a-dem02.it - but to be quite honest, that's much closer to a Rhodes rather than an actual piano.

As for proper Karplus-Strong stuff, that's on the SunVox todo list.
jcage

Post by jcage »

CoByX wrote:
jcage wrote:Being a sampler freak I created a 4-layered stereo piano as metamodule. 134MB... to big? Not for what it sounds like. Fazioli grand piano, sampled by folks who know their business, provided by palmitos some time ago. Took me some time to translate..
It would be great if you'd share it.
its online...
Last edited by jcage on Sun May 26, 2013 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jcage

Post by jcage »

may or may not work:

http://server.omamees.com/i2pusr/fazioli-demo.sunvox [134MB]

Cheers!
CoByX

Post by CoByX »

jcage wrote:may or may not work:

Cheers!
Thanks a lot! It sounds good! I think I'll try to write smth using this metamodule.
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

:shock: 134 mb... I think this would be cool to have ability to load some predefined modules from disk (like from VST directory) during the song loading. 134 mb for each song is too much :)
jcage

Post by jcage »

linking metamodules is definitely a good idea, if optional: I am a complete messy sometimes and who garantees that i dont edit a metamodule used in another song?

On the other hand I like to organize my music as programmers do, in libraries.

We need both options.
EuPhobos

Post by EuPhobos »

jcage wrote:may or may not work:

Cheers!
Wow, nice sound! I like it, and will use it =)
gilzad

Post by gilzad »

Haven't forgotten about this thread.

Now, if you guys tell me that this sounds like a Piano sample, then I'm on the right way to serve you something. Needs a lot of work though.
Carbonthief

Post by Carbonthief »

It does sound kind of like a piano sample, but combined with a violin sort of? Like if a piano had tiny bows instead of tiny hammers, that's what it sounds like to me.
samrai katt kovboy

Post by samrai katt kovboy »

It is in the right direction and it does sound organic, did you try it in context with other music?
But hell yeah it is a beginning and hope that you continue the work!

Easy times and tough love
Break me softly on raygun sponge
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANY CIRCLES
Darkhog

Post by Darkhog »

gilzad wrote:Haven't forgotten about this thread.

Now, if you guys tell me that this sounds like a Piano sample, then I'm on the right way to serve you something. Needs a lot of work though.
You are on something. Care to share .sunvox file, so I could try to help?
foodeater

Post by foodeater »

Gigi, thanks, interesting info! If I want a piano I'll record it or use samples, but inaccurate/non-realistic synthesis can often sound really good and interesting in it's own right.

Native Instruments and I think East West as well as a few other companies offer free piano samples that you could sequence in sunvox via MIDI and sample into sunvox. With the interpolate command and velocity it might not be that bad to make your own multisamples.

I use the programs keymap pro and autosampler to easily re-record and "unlock" sampler instruments from proprietary formats. Too bad they don't have a sunvox format to save into!
jcage wrote: On the other hand I like to organize my music as programmers do, in libraries.
Sorry for the derail, but can you explain a bit? I'm trying to make a real effort to finally get my music related files organized and I'd love to know some more concepts about how to approach it.
jcage

Post by jcage »

Well in programming you have the rule of "once-and-only-once". That is, for the same purpose, say converting sample rate you have a function in a library which may be called from 100 places in your final work(s). Similarly in music you have samples which form phrases, which form parts, which form pieces. In every level of the hierarchy these building blocks may be re-used in several songs, just like functions in a programming library. (case 1)

However there is a difference to modern programming languages. The above concept may be too unflexible for real life. In C++ you can therefore modify your libraries as you use them. Thats key. Obviously you cant do that with musaq. So you end up carrying copies of your precreated building blocks around with you. (case 2)
Darkhog

Post by Darkhog »

With music we can assume that finished piece is like compiled executable ;).

But this is going off-topic. Has anyone any progress? I really need it.

//edit: And sample are no-no, because of size. Better samples=bigger size. Smaller samples=worse quality. I need something hi-quality AND low-size, thus something procedural. C'mon, I know SunVox community can do it! Gilzad was on something, but he (she?) didn't post sunvox file so we can help.