Which SunVox version(s) do you use? (old poll)

Multi-platform modular music creation studio

Which SunVox version(s) do you use? Please select a system

You may select up to 9 options

View results

Sensory Overload

Re: Which SunVox version(s) do you use?

Post by Sensory Overload »

Windows, BUT am giving serious thought to Android, as some tablets can be had quite cheaply now, well...at least in the $70 US price range. Question- are the projects compatible cross platform? Meaning, can I start work on something on an Android tablet, and when I get home transfer the project file to my Windows laptop or PC and continue working? I have just begun "playing around" with SunVox, so forgive me if I haven't gotten that far yet... but if the project files are shareable cross-platform that would be fantastic!
El Nino

Post by El Nino »

@ sensory overload...yes everything you make will be totally crosspaltform if you use sunvox. Use a laptop, transfer to android tablet or ipad no problemo.

It runs well without jittering even on older/cheaper devices but if you use samplers to create incredibly large multisampled instruments you will be wanting 1GB of RAM or more. Android is better than ipad in my opinion. This is because I use a lot of samples and need to use a normal directory structure to arrange them properly...on ipad you have only one folder for all your samples, on android you can create as many folders for samples as you wish. Ipad is faster with almost no latency if you like to play sunvox keyboard live.

so yes, all sunvox files (songs, synths, metamodules) are shareable cross-platform
teamoth

Post by teamoth »

I'm using a Jailbroken iPad Mini these days and I'm finding it really good. Jailbreaking is well worth it if you are using it to make music, because you get access to the file structure and can move samples around between different apps and import and export sunvox projects using a SD card and an adapter. Perhaps I can live without Palm OS after all...
Darkhog

Post by Darkhog »

Still on 1.7.3. I know, I know, shame on me. But I'm too lazy to download new version. If only Sunvox would have autoupdater...
xaccrocheur

Post by xaccrocheur »

Darkhog, the UI has changed in the new pre 1.8 beta. Bugs have been crushed. When you install it, you'll be sorry to not have done it sooner ;)

Oh, and depending on the platform you use, scripting an automatic updater could be almost quite simple (let's say a fun sunday project) :D
  • Put the content of http://www.warmplace.ru/soft/sunvox/ XPATH:html body div#outer_content_div div#outer2_content_div div#content_div center font.title in a variable. ("center" ? The horror. Alex, see BTW3)
  • Check that variable regularly
  • If it moves, get the first a class="download_link"
  • wget/curl it, unzip it, put your platform/arch executable file in the $PATH
  • Voila. Dude, I cannot think of a more elegant software than SunVox.
BTW, for all those using SunVox on Meego, use this quick tutorial to update it to the latest available version, bypassing the "OVI origin" restriction.

BTW2 For those using SunVox on GNU/Linux, here is the minimal sunvox.desktop file (drop it in /usr/share/applications, or just DBclick on it) that allows you to access SunVox from your DE's application menu, or shell, or ALT+F2, and it has an icon in the taskbar, and everything is peachy :

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.7b
Name=SunVox
GenericName=Sound Editor
Comment=SunVox is a small, fast and powerful modular synthesizer with pattern-based sequencer (tracker).
Exec=/usr/local/bin/sunvox
Icon=/home/px/Dropbox/IMG/icons/sunvox.png
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Categories=Application;AudioVideo;Audio;
The icon I use :

BTW3 Alex, if, like me, you think you need a new website, I'm willing to help (for free, that is) you install, configure, style, and train you to maintain either a Drupal full-blown DB one, or a dead-fast static one, like my own. That later solution would be better in every way except design & testing time.
Last edited by xaccrocheur on Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Yassin Philip - Check out My music =@
xaccrocheur

Post by xaccrocheur »

Same for Virtual ANS

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Version=2.2b
Name=VirtualANS
GenericName=Sound Editor
Comment=Virtual ANS is a software simulator of the unique Russian synthesizer ANS - photoelectronic microtonal/spectral musical instrument created by Russian engineer Evgeny Murzin from 1938 to 1958.
Exec=/home/px/scripts/virtual_ans/START_LINUX_X86_64
Icon=/home/px/Dropbox/IMG/icons/virtual_ans.png
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Categories=Application;AudioVideo;Audio;
xaccrocheur

Post by xaccrocheur »

While we're at it, here is the full official SunVox manual optimized for PDA / smartphone offline usage.
Jace

Post by Jace »

If i ever end up with an iPad, i'll buy the iOS version...
-Jace
hseiken

Post by hseiken »

teamoth wrote:I use Palm OS, Windows and Windows CE. I now own an An Android that can run Sunvox, which I have bought and have tried Sunvox on an iPad, but I just don't like that capacitive finger touch way of working, feels messy and unreliable compared to the accuracy of a Palm with a stylus. I've tried those styluses you can get for capacitive screens, but I don't find them very accurate or reliable. I like the soft "give" of a Palm screen under my stylus... Maybe I will get a Samsung with a "S" pen one day if I can afford it, hopefully they work better.

You should try this:
http://hex3.co/products/jaja It only needs special support for drawing programs for pressure sensitivity. Otherwise, it's an accurate selection device for capacitive touch screens. I haven't tried it, but this might be useful fo ryou.
WARNINGThis angry old nerd may rant about modern computers or computer culture! It is not directed at you 99% of the time! Ignore it if it seems silly or personal!
Laggyluk

Post by Laggyluk »

I'd use version for kindle fire if there would be one :(
UNLO

Post by UNLO »

App works well 1.8 installed on AndroidPC MINIX NEO X7 device with quad core RK3188 Chip and 2GB of RAM. Only thing i'm missing is how to configure my Akai MPK 49 keyboard to send keys over USB to SunVOX. (if anyone know plz help ! )
Kid_lofi

Post by Kid_lofi »

@UNLO that's a weird (but cool) device to run it off. You'd need to find / program a custom midi driver before it'd recognise the MPK i think.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
GameGlomp

Post by GameGlomp »

So far, I'm using Android (Samsung Galaxy S5 Active) because I am almost always on the go... and this is comparison to my PC notebook, which IS an on-the-go device... so that should tell you something! I manage a great handful of projects in my spare time, and my "chiptune career" will have to fall into the cracks that remain throughout my day. Being able to spend as little as 45 seconds popping the app open and making a couple of tweaks before pocketing my phone is of huge value to me.

Using the PC version is more of a "day off, and can't think of what else to do with it" experience.

Overall, I can't emphasize enough how badly I would like full MIDI Controller integration with my Android device (via the OTG cable)— I want MIDI control and to be able to assign the keys, knobs, sliders, etc of the MIDI Controller to parameters of SunVox Android. Hopefully this response is insightful and helpful to development!
GameGlomp

Post by GameGlomp »

UNLO wrote:how to configure my Akai MPK 49 keyboard to send keys over USB to SunVOX. (if anyone know plz help ! )
Open SunVox> Click SunVox Logo> Preferences > MIDI > MIDI Keyboard 1> Select your Akai from the list (so long as it's there, otherwise you have some troubleshooting to do)

Hope this was the answer you needed!
Corummo

Post by Corummo »

Dear Nightradio, you just forgot to include Windows Phone in this poll. ^_^
If you like ancient technology, please watch my retrocomputing and retrogaming blog 8)