SunVox To-Do List

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
blacbeard

Re: SunVox To-Do List

Post by blacbeard »

No to vst support. The limitation to native modules inspires creativity, it would be regrettable to implement vst. Rewire would be handy though. Sunvox's strength is in its closed modular environment.
samrai katt kovboy

Post by samrai katt kovboy »

+1
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANY CIRCLES
SolarLune

Post by SolarLune »

@blacbeard - While I agree that limitation inspires creativity, having support for more options isn't bad either. If you want to inspire creativity by limiting yourself, do it the same way you would now with any other "challenge" by just limiting the modules you work with (i.e. 1-bit, tracker-style (using a single pattern at a time), no samples, no internal synths, no effects, etc.).
foodeater

Post by foodeater »

Just started messing with pixilang and it's very cool! Thanks! :)

Ever thought about a pixilang module in Sunvox? Sorry if I've missed previous discussion of this. Maybe that gets too complicated cross platform because as far as I know you can't really execute code on iOS devices. Not sure what it's like on Android. Even a stripped down version of pixilang would be very useful though.

I could see it being useful as a sound module i.e. MIDI effects, making more complex versions of the MultiSynth module and being very helpful in interacting with the MetaModule too.

I could also imagine a pixilang based pattern being very fun i.e. easily generate code to make automation or LFO shapes, place note ons every x steps, place note ons based on the position of other note ons, using IF ELSE WHILE loops for pattern interaction along with other conditionals, it's really endless.

Long term it'd cut down on the number of feature requests. ;) :)

...And all the other DAWs are doing it, Reaper with jesusonic, Live with M4L, Logic just added javascript. :roll: :D
blacbeard

Post by blacbeard »

SolarLune wrote:@blacbeard - While I agree that limitation inspires creativity, having support for more options isn't bad either. If you want to inspire creativity by limiting yourself, do it the same way you would now with any other "challenge" by just limiting the modules you work with (i.e. 1-bit, tracker-style (using a single pattern at a time), no samples, no internal synths, no effects, etc.).

@solarlune: I want to backtrack a little bit in my no vst stance. If VST is implemented, it would be good to be able to select the most used parameters to be displayed in the module window so that it is rationalised. For example, if I were to use a vst that has 100+ knobs, sliders, buttons and dials on it but I only want to tweak the filter cutoff and resonance then all I would like to do is press a 'learn' button on the VST module parameter window, tweak the controls I want to automate or change on the VST GUI. The cutoff and resonance sliders will appear in the VST module parameter list and then I can close the VST GUI so I don't get distracted by all the stuff I am not going to change.

How does that sound?
GreaseMonkey

Post by GreaseMonkey »

VST would absolutely ruin cross-platform compatibility. It will restrict your songs to x86 platforms (I seriously doubt NightRadio would want to even begin to write an x86 emulator), and that's assuming you have a custom PE loader. Without such a loader, it would further restrict it to Windows only.

SunVox has JACK MIDI support, at least on Linux. ReWire will have serious licensing issues if I understand it correctly, so it would be better to focus on getting JACK working on Windows (if it doesn't work already), rather than ReWire.

Speaking of JACK, do you have any plans to map module inputs to specific midi channels or instruments?
samrai katt kovboy

Yes Jack Audio does work for windows now... Do not remember the name of who told me but he made some tutorials for SunVox the last one or two months...
Yes and I totally agree that to make VST's work inside of SunVox is a very bad idea.
SunVox is great because of being cross platform but it also makes you think creatively and learn and make things that is independent from other DAW's.
I just love how everything is contained in one file that will be the same wherever I go!

And if you really want to use Vst's you can render wav files import into another DAW. Not so convenient but not too hard either. Sometimes to record other real instruments or vocals this is what I have been doing and the later importing it back into the sampler of SunVox to have all that contained goodness! Yes I know it is possible to record into the sampler but there is too much hassle so far... but have a feeling that this is going to change though and when this happens it will be a fully self contained DAW.
Especially with all the nice mastering meta modules that GIlzad has concocted.... and does it not feel like that there is getting to be more and better meta modules in general coming?
Sorry for the ramblings....

Sailing on to the blue starry sky............
alien_brain

Post by alien_brain »

i dont think vst is necessary with the input module.

i like sunvox because of its sound. but i like creative use of sound wherever it comes from. i would love to have control of its modules in detail with midi cc values and sysex etc. i know this is already on the list. the sound obtainable through skilled use of parameter manipulation on the timeline is what can make the difference i think.

but i know you guys are veterans to the tracker game. that part of it isnt as important to me since everybody has a history with music and creativity. big respect none the less. but hex aint my thang and i like my notes to go from left to right hahahaha what can i say?

guys? :oops:
sandwiches

Post by sandwiches »

I have yet to find a single Android music application that can do different time signatures. I want that more than anything.

I guess you could just offer the option to change the highlighted rows in the tracker - right?

Seriously - I just want to naturally make songs in something other than 4/4 without having to keep finding workarounds.
samrai katt kovboy

There is one very complete application that does different time signatures in a clip/pattern based fashion. Also excellent for Poly rhythms.
Comes with Different types of Synthesis and you can also use samples.
it is called Syntheogen you can read an in-depth review here;
http://www.musicalandroid.com/3/categor ... gen/1.html
Then there is one that can be interesting but is only sample based but allows different time signatures as well. Just samples though...
It is called GrooveMixer PRO.

Syntheogen is slightly different in it's workflow but just sitting down with the tutorials one afternoon you will have got it.
Anforium

Post by Anforium »

sandwiches wrote:I have yet to find a single Android music application that can do different time signatures. I want that more than anything.

I guess you could just offer the option to change the highlighted rows in the tracker - right?

Seriously - I just want to naturally make songs in something other than 4/4 without having to keep finding workarounds.
Some of the newest stuff I've done has 7/8 and 5/4 sections, it's not really that hard. You just adjust the pattern length accordingly and ignore the row highlighting. I wouldn't necessarily call that a "workaround". Although it would be pretty awesome to be able to change the row highlighting interval.
sandwiches

Post by sandwiches »

Anforium wrote:
sandwiches wrote:I have yet to find a single Android music application that can do different time signatures. I want that more than anything.

Some of the newest stuff I've done has 7/8 and 5/4 sections, it's not really that hard. You just adjust the pattern length accordingly and ignore the row highlighting. I wouldn't necessarily call that a "workaround". Although it would be pretty awesome to be able to change the row highlighting interval.
Yes, that would be incredible to be able to change the row highlighting. That would be good enough for me.
22tape

Post by 22tape »

i'm sure this isn't a high demand feature request, but personally i'd really love some sort of vinyl simulation effect module. i'm not a huge fan of bitcrush/downsampling fx....they sound rather harsh to my ears. a vinyl sim or even a tape sim fx module would be a great way to dirty things up without the harsh digital artifacts. caustic has a vinyl sim fx that sounds rather nice. it's just a pain to have to constantly import/export out of caustic to achieve such an effect.
22tape

Post by 22tape »

another fx request-- it'd be killer if the echo module acted more like an analogue/tape echo instead of a digital delay, ie when you adjust the delay time parameter it would pitch down/up to give that warbley feel instead of the skippy digitalness. especially since we already have the delay module for more digital delays. thanks, nr!
blacbeard

Post by blacbeard »

The desire for VST comes from users wanting a wider palate of sounds to work with. This can be done within the closed environment or opening up to third party plugins. In my heart I would like for SV to continue as a closed environment but with a wider range of sounds. This can be done with improvements to existing instrument with updated versions that are backward compatible, new instruments and improved linking and parameter controls between modules (synced envelopes (pitch, filter controls to Sampler for example), lfos etc) to increase the versatility of existing modules. This could be done using virtual CV cables which is a whole other can of worms.

My final suggestion which would allow a greater range of sounds is to introduce a Soundfont module. Soundfonts would be a good first choice because of the range available and the files can be contained within the project file for portability.