Android, strange CPU usage-related crackling/stutter

Found a bug? Post it here.
Saltbearer

Android, strange CPU usage-related crackling/stutter

Post by Saltbearer »

Since getting my new phone (OnePlus 3) I've been getting some frequent audio pops. I didn't mind too much, but my current project is cracklier than usual for some reason, and some very busy ones (dozens of modules active at once) I started on my previous phone (Nexus 6) are at times barely playable, keeping the CPU usage up near 100%.

My problem is similar to this Nexus 5 user's: https://www.reddit.com/r/sunvox/comment ... xus_5_why/

The 2ms buffer + 48kHz sample rate (As suggested in other stutter-related threads) helps.

A hopefully good clue as to the reason for this: with my latest project, dragging the separator thing around and resizing all the different sections of the work area *usually* stops the popping! Doesn't work as well for those older CPU-hogging projects though.

When I open the CPU usage monitor while dragging, it updates every frame and hovers at about 30%. When I stop dragging, the CPU usage is shown to be around 60% and the audio popping resumes.

Maybe there'd be a way to let SunVox use as much processing power as it needs at any time, or something? I dunno.
Keres

Re: Android, strange CPU usage-related crackling/stutter

Post by Keres »

got the same problem on a motorola droid
TheBlu30ne

Post by TheBlu30ne »

Saltbearer wrote:Since getting my new phone (OnePlus 3) I've been getting some frequent audio pops. I didn't mind too much, but my current project is cracklier than usual for some reason, and some very busy ones (dozens of modules active at once) I started on my previous phone (Nexus 6) are at times barely playable, keeping the CPU usage up near 100%.

My problem is similar to this Nexus 5 user's: https://www.reddit.com/r/sunvox/comment ... xus_5_why/

The 2ms buffer + 48kHz sample rate (As suggested in other stutter-related threads) helps.

A hopefully good clue as to the reason for this: with my latest project, dragging the separator thing around and resizing all the different sections of the work area *usually* stops the popping! Doesn't work as well for those older CPU-hogging projects though.

When I open the CPU usage monitor while dragging, it updates every frame and hovers at about 30%. When I stop dragging, the CPU usage is shown to be around 60% and the audio popping resumes.

Maybe there'd be a way to let SunVox use as much processing power as it needs at any time, or something? I dunno.
I think the problem is is that your CPU cant keep up with the audio buffer. Try to make the buffer bigger in preferences -> audio. If crackling still occurs, try to reduce the frequency to 42khz.
manganoid

Post by manganoid »

Here as well, I recently got a LG G5 on android 6.0.1 and the audio stutter is unbearable. Tried to set the latency to maximum and audio freq to 42khz but no help. I will try the 2ms solution and will report. Hope you guys find a proper solution. Cheers
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

audio freq to 42khz
Do you mean 44100? If so, please try 48000. Sometimes it helps, because the resampling (from 44100 to 48000) algorithms are not always fast enough.
manganoid

Post by manganoid »

Yup, sorry, 44100. Didn't help. I set it back all to Auto. Still stutters on files that have 2 or 3 metamodules inside. The Auto settings are 2ms and 48khz. Any suggestions?
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

1) The same result if you set 48000 manually?
2) So it stutters not on every project, but on some big songs with several MetaModules? What is the CPU usage on these projects?
manganoid

Post by manganoid »

Where can i check cpu usage on android?
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Modules -> CPU usage
manganoid

Post by manganoid »

The CPU usage is fluctuating from 38 to 100% randomly. The closest to stable is when i manually set the freq to 44khz and latency to 2ms. But, yeah, songs with no modules work better. Funny, though, it works better on my old LG optimus G Pro than on my newbLG G5 h860
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

The newest devices have some energy saving modes often.
For example, they reduce the CPU speed when there is no touchscreen activity. Even if the current task loads the CPU 100% :(
manganoid

Post by manganoid »

I also used the option to cancel game optimization for Sunvox so now it's more bearable :D Unfortunately, I have reached the limit on my Soundcloud so I can't post mote new tracks, but I'll think of something.
ALSO, would it be possible too implement Ann option in newer version of Sunvox to Expand a loaded module so it would merge with the track it was imported to? Just Ann idea. Huge greets from manganoid