Mac OS X: unable to copy/paste; "Save error" when trying to edit MetaModule

Found a bug? Post it here.
revsin

Mac OS X: unable to copy/paste; "Save error" when trying to edit MetaModule

Post by revsin »

Mac OS Sierra 10.2

Running ver. 1.9.1

Unable to paste in the tracker interface with keyboard shortcuts, nor the toolbar buttons, nor while right clicking dialog from the popup menu. Copy may not be working either, hard to tell without a way to paste to test it.

Cut and duplicate buttons, shortcuts, menus work as intended.

Tried changing the shortcut commands to something else but had no effect.

When I click the Edit button on any MetaModule I get the error "Save error"
revsin

Re: Unable to paste (possibly copy as well) in the tracker. Error when trying to edit MetaModule items

Post by revsin »

Changed Sunvox to run in 32-bit mode via the Inspector and now when I try to paste I get the "Save error" dialog box.

If I open SunVox by viewing the package contents and executing:
/Applications/sunvox/sunvox/osx/SunVox.app/Contents/MacOS/SunVox

Then it works perfectly.
pgregory

Re: Unable to paste (possibly copy as well) in the tracker. Error when trying to edit MetaModule items

Post by pgregory »

I can concur that running SunVox from the .app results in cut and paste not working at all, at least in the pattern editor, whereas running from the command line inside the app folder works fine.

Great to have a workaround, but would be fantastic to get this solved. This was almost enough for me to abandon SunVox as a viable competitor in my comparison, as I do a lot of live playing/recording, then clean up, and I'm not a great player, so being able to correct timing and note placement is critical to me. Is there somewhere I should report this as a bug so I can track if it gets fixed? For reference, I've paid for the Android version, more than happy to contribute to the development of this, it's interesting, very different from a user interface perspective to anything else I'm trying, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, I'm patient and happy to experiment.

The only other thing that is marking SunVox down in the competitive analysis so far is the lack of ADSR support in the synths, I'll ask this question in a different thread.
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Sorry for delay with the answer.
The problem is in the SunVox directory location. The Applications is a bad place, because the app can't save its files to this folder. This is why you see the "Save error" message.
Please try to use some another directory (user-created).
For example, in my case it is just my_soft/sunvox in the root of the home filesystem.
revsin

Post by revsin »

That worked, thanks for the assist friend!

I'll add to further clarify to others that run into this issue that moving the expanded directories isn't what ya gotta do, but moving the executable sunvox.app to a user-created directory is what it'll take to make it happy.

I assume this is a result to Apple's sandboxing efforts?
pgregory

Post by pgregory »

This fix doesn't work for me, in fact, I've never yet got round to moving the application to the Applications folder, it's still in my Downloads folder. If I run the .app I can't cut and paste, at least not in the pattern editor, if I instead open up the .app, and run the program directly, it all works fine.
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

I've never yet got round to moving the application to the Applications folder, it's still in my Downloads folder.
So have you tried to open it in some folder other than Apps and Downloads?
pgregory

Post by pgregory »

Sorry for the delay in replying. I did some more experiments, and it definitely is related to the location. Strangest of all, if I copy just the SunVox.app into the system global Applications folder, it works fine! Strange that it doesn't work from within the folder structure of the zip when unzipped in Downloads, and I can't see an obvious reason why, my user has full access rights to that folder. I always prefer to test out new applications in the Downloads or similar folder before deciding they have a long term future on my system and only then copying them to the Applications folder.

But that's not important, it's all working now, thanks, looking forward to continuing my learning and experimentation.