Return from MetaModules influences other sessions

Found a bug? Post it here.
Pessoft

Return from MetaModules influences other sessions

Post by Pessoft »

Hi,

I've found this bug in SunVox 1.9.1 (Jan 8 2016) release on Linux x64 version.

How to replicate:
1) Start first SunVox, load some project (P1) with MetaModule, edit MetaModule.
2) Start second SunVox, load different project (P2) with MetaModule, edit MetaModule.
3) Press Back button in P2 to return to project module view.
4) Press Back button in P1 to return to project module view.

Incorrect behavior:
P1 project has been overwritten in SunVox by P2

Expected behaviour:
P1 has been not influenced by P2. Different SunVox processes should not influence each other.

Thanks a lot for checking it out :wink:
Pessoft

Re: Return from MetaModules influences other sessions

Post by Pessoft »

I've tried to replicate this on Windows system, but it behaved correctly, so it seems it is only Linux related.
Sedulous

Post by Sedulous »

This may be due to how it saves the file as it enters the metamodule edit-mode. To use 2 instances of Sunvox, you must currently make 2 different folders for each one, and place or create the "sunvox_config.ini" file in each folder. Otherwise, they will share the same cache, settings, and backup file. (It may be helpful to change the color scheme of each one, and name each one something different like "Sunvox-A" and the other "Sunvox-B").
Pessoft

Post by Pessoft »

Thank you for your info. After some further testing I realized, that Sunvox saves its cache data to the working directory. For Linux I had a shortcut without specification of working directory, so default path: user's home dir, was used. Starting multiple Sunvox applications using this shortcut used user's home as working directory and saved the data over the same files.
So basically, you can have just one installation of Sunvox and use it for multiple instances, but you need to set working directory to separate location for each instance.

However, I'd prefer that when the Sunvox wants to save data to file, which belongs to another running Sunvox to popup some info message or ask for confirmation to overwrite.