Autoharph

Severak

Autoharph

Post by Severak »

I made my first public module - an autoharph-like meta module using this approach.

It takes one note/key at input and makes an chord at output. It's designed to work with computer keyboard - keys Q to U plays major triads, Z to M minor triad.

I hope this will be useful for somebody.

Note: It's Sunvox 1.9.3+ only!
Attachments
autoharph_by_severak_v1.sunsynth
(10.03 KiB) Downloaded 409 times
Last edited by Severak on Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheMonopluralist

Re: Autohraph

Post by TheMonopluralist »

This is excellent! It seems to work for me using octaves 3 and 4 of the keyboard for major and minor triads although I've not tested it with the qwerty keyboard yet.

I came across your attempts to do this, after I had spent some hours the other evening seeing if I could use the same approach to emulate some of the functionality of the "kordbot" as seen here: https://youtu.be/8CGHNJpHndE

I've even managed to kludge together a way to get a controller in the sunsynth module to allow the chord to be opened up (to add additional notes in higher octaves as the controller value is increased). I have plans to build a number of these modules for different chord types, (might be very very useful if sunvox ever gets a "routing" module) and pipe dreams of one day being able to choose chord inversions.

I'll try to post my modules here too.
TheMonopluralist

1 and 2 octave major chords (ionian, i guess)...
major1oct.sunsynth
(10.05 KiB) Downloaded 387 times
major1oct.sunsynth
(10.05 KiB) Downloaded 387 times
Hopefully this works, first time posting an attachment here and extra unsure it will work because I'm doing from an android phone!
Attachments
major2oct.sunsynth
(18.87 KiB) Downloaded 342 times
TheMonopluralist

Here's a demo with a number of major chord voicings as different metamodules.

It is set up with the piano module as a demonstration, just trigger the multisynth with your notes (or play the simple pattern already included) and mute the active metamodule and select an alternative one and unmute it.

Try playing with the module controller for fewer notes.

They each have a controller called "spread" for number of notes (furthest left plays only the root, i.e. the original note that you play, furthest right is the full voicing of the chord) and a few of them still have a controller to take out the 5th regardless of the first controller (although the last touched controller will override the other one's effect, and the spread controller is very rough-and-ready in terms of the scaling - more a proof of concept).

----------------------------------------------------
Seems the file is too large to upload here so here is an open dropbox link that should work even if you don't have dropbox yourself:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o17a12zlbhagk ... unvox?dl=0

Can someone let me know if that doesn't work and i'll just upload the individual modules.
Severak

Re: Autoharph

Post by Severak »

Monopluralist - your approach is much more sophisticated than mine. Good job! I am just trying to decode how exactly your "spread" controller works (I have never used MultiCtl before).
TheMonopluralist

Not that much more sophisticated, just the same kind of thing repeated in different modules with different notes. The spread function is a little bit more complex but it is just an attempt to copy someone else's work. I had to look up most of the chord names and voicings based on the buttons on the kordbot using wikipedia, google, etc!

As for the spread control, it turns the velocity of each note from 0 (off) to full (on) in one step, as you increase it, one note at a time. It is not very elegant, perhaps it would be nicer if it gradually increased the velocity up to full one note at a time but my head hurt after getting as far as this and that seems an awful lot more complicated. There was quite a bit of trial and a high proportion of error just doing what I've done so far. It is there for you and others to have a go with, see how I did it and try and improve it or do something else with it!

An alternative to the spread control would be just to do something like mapping the velocity value for each note's multisynth to a controller in the metamodule (from the upper level, click the metamodule, click on "controllers", increase the number of controllers to match the number of notes in the chord, assign each one to a relevant module's velocity, rename each one as appropriate - the same way that I have mapped and renamed the controller called "5th" as an example in some of the modules). This would allow the velocity to be controlled separately for each note in the chord. More control, but less immediate.
TheMonopluralist

Here is a basic version of mine, now fully populated with chord types... Again it's just a dropbox link, but if anyone wants to take it and share or re-up it anywhere feel free...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mse6io1eceyms ... unvox?dl=0
Keres

Post by Keres »

HEY! It's always cool to see someone working with sunvox and making huge progress. Thanks for sharing. Just to let you know... my Mexican gankster rap project was nominated for a grammy using your algorithms. if you complain or say anything, we will chop you up into little pieces. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Keres

Post by Keres »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: just kidding... dont send someone to off me please!!!
TheMonopluralist

Ahh these Mexican gankster wannabees... If I had a peso for every time I'd had one beg for their life! Well maybe I'd be able to fund that mythical "wall" eh? Anyway, perhaps I should save these thoughts for the other forums - you know, the ones where I can't be heard over all the bots.