Haas effect

KirValah

Haas effect

Post by KirValah »

Hello everyone.

I made this simple but useful effect to place sounds in stereo scope where you want and give them "direction".

You can find full explanation of this psychoacoustic effect here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precedence_effect

*module for the Sunvox 1.9.2
Attachments
haas_v1.2.sunvox
(6.2 KiB) Downloaded 413 times
haas_demo.sunvox
(14.27 KiB) Downloaded 380 times
El Nino

Re: Haas effect

Post by El Nino »

When a sound is followed by another sound separated by a sufficiently short time delay (below the listener's echo threshold), listeners perceive a single fused auditory image; its perceived spatial location is dominated by the location of the first-arriving sound (the first wave front). The lagging sound also affects the perceived location. However, its effect is suppressed by the first-arriving sound.

Its interesting, some old people where I am were scared by 'binaural' directional sounds because they said kids were using it to get high...its so dumb.
SawZer

Post by SawZer »

I used this effect in combination with amplitude control to produce an effective directional panner. I'll post it in the forums in a bit
Elfferich

Post by Elfferich »

The haas effect always causes phase issues when playing back on a mono sound system. The best you can get with the haas effect on mono still will change the tone and level of the sound. In the worst situation the sound will 'dissapear' completely in the mix. The module on this topic: Independent Stereo Delay also uses the haas effect but isolates the middle and side. This makes it 100% mono compatible. I'd never use raw delay on the main elements of a mix.