Help request: Sample slicer - any ideas?

Kid_lofi

Help request: Sample slicer - any ideas?

Post by Kid_lofi »

So, the amazing addition in v1.9b of having the multisynth 'phase offset' parameter able to control the sample offset of sampled audio has made it possible to tweak sounds in a sampler module in real time. It also means you can trigger different sections out of the same sampler module without drastically increasng the project size, and it's faster than copying sections 'by eye' in the waveform editor.

NOW, I'm trying to figure out how to turn it into a 'slicer' of sorts, by using a sound2ctrl to automate the volume, which would allow the audio to be triggered as 'one-shot' sounds, rather than the duration of the playback being controlled by note-on and note-off. At the moment I've got a generator with near 0 attack and release and no sustain linked to a reverb, then it goes through a heap of amplifiers and compressors set to really hard, so that even the slightest tap of a key creates a really loud noise which lasts for a little while and then tails off, and I can control how long the horrible noise lasts a bit by using the feedback of the reverb module. But, it doesn't tail off cleanly - it sort of clicks in and out at the end (which sounds quite cool, like a faulty cable or a dirty contact, but it's not quite what I'm after).

So, doe anyone have an idea how to generate a tone that plays at a fairly constant volume, for a duration that can be controlled with SOME finesse(i'm not looking for to-the-sample accuracy)?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
SawZer

Re: Help request: Sample slicer - any ideas?

Post by SawZer »

Have you tried adding a single Amplifier, and modifying the DC Offset? This is a really good way to get a reliable solid single, plus you can always modulate it.
rainydayshirts

Post by rainydayshirts »

Any chance you could upload a template/project of what you're describing? This is something I could really use. Also, I could play around with it and see if I can't come up with some random solution to what you are looking for.
Jesse R. Schilling | rainydayshirts

| Bandcamp | Deviantart | Patreon |
Kid_lofi

Post by Kid_lofi »

Sorry it's taken me a bit to reply, I broke my phone by chewing on it, then accidentally erased my backup rather than reloading it. I'm going to try putting it back together and uploading it for everyone's perusal. I'll take the opportunity to try the DC-offset'd amplifier too, chip, thanks for the suggestion.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
SolarLune

Post by SolarLune »

Hey, I needed a beat / sample slicer as well, so I made one myself. Feel free to check it out!