Exciter-2.0

monoben

Exciter-2.0

Post by monoben »

Hi all,

There is a post from gilzad about the exciter he made.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2404

I made some changes to it using the WaveShaper module, because using the distortion module adds only odd harmonics, thanks to its symmetrical hard clipping. The WaveShaper module has the option for either symmetrical(odd harmonics) or asymmetrical (all harmonics). Also the smoother the wave the less high frequency content (aka: soft clipping) Somewhat alleviating the need for filters. I say somewhat because the best WaveShaper shape depends on the frequency. So it dose still need to be filtered first.

Edit: upon further reading and testing I found that in fact the Distortion module dose have both symmetrical and asymmetrical hard clipping. That is the difference between the lim and sat type. The lim type generates the odd harmonics and the sat type gives you all the harmonics.
Attachments
Exciter-2.0.sunsynth
monoben's Exciter-2.0 made from gilzad's Exciter
(13.09 KiB) Downloaded 678 times
gilzad

Re: Exciter-2.0

Post by gilzad »

Just checked it out. Definitely worth it to have a choice between the types of harmonics. I should be able to bring this to the old exciter by adding a multicontroller to it. Of course I don't mind if you do, too. Then the user would be able to choose between the distortion types with only one controller on the outside.

However, your version is using waveshapers with different curves, so still it will have its own character. I like the idea that the current user controllers access the 'mix' level of the waveshapers. But it would be good if the user could not only fade between 'totally distorted' and 'not distorted', but also control the amount of harmonics (the waveshaper's input volume). However, I can see that the module would become complex with so many controllers, so it's totally fair if you choose to keep it like this for user friendlyness.
monoben

Post by monoben »

But it would be good if the user could not only fade between 'totally distorted' and 'not distorted', but also control the amount of harmonics (the waveshaper's input volume).
I made this a few weeks back:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xqrkz102eom4c ... unvox?dl=0

But decided to hold back on it because its very resource hungry atm. I'm sure there are some good settings, but I didn't want to put it out in module form till I had it configured nicely. I feel as though this prototype module sum what emulates how a valve distorts. As you can see I made the "mix" variable instead of the "input volume" but I'm gonna try it with input volume :)
choose between the distortion types with only one controller on the outside
I tried to make a module that had the option to flick between symmetrical or asymmetrical distortion but I found That the two different types needed vastly different filter configurations. But I think you should still try it with yours. Your modules added harmonics are a little more well behaved. If you get it sounding ok then maybe call it 3.0.
DigitalNematode

Post by DigitalNematode »

Bottom link is disabled